Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I found a pigeon who was being chased by cats and was unable to fly. Although no one actually saw the cats bite or scratch the pigeon, I was so concerned that this might have happened (as I understand it can be rapidly fatal) that I took the pigeon to the emergency vet.

The emergency vet couldn't actually find any wing breaks or injuries, so he suspects that it is a soft tissue injury to the left wing. As to the chance of cat attack there is some evidence of old tissue injury but as to new injury he says he can't rule it out as it could be concealed by feathers. As such he prescribed the pigeon an antibiotic and an antiinflamatory. For purposes of paper work and claiming companion status (which, given my past experience, I was concerned might be necessary to get the pigeon seen and treated rather than just euthanized) I named the pigeon Greybird (she / he is light grey with dark grey checks). Gray Bird weighs 260g. The prescription is:

1. Enrofloxacin Oral Susp., 32 mg/mL (3 ml). Give Greybird 0.1 ml by mouth every 12 hours for 7 days.

2. Metacam Oral 1.5 mg/no (1 ml). Give Greybird 0.05 ml by mouth every 12 hours for 7 days.

Does that sound good to everyone?

Thanks!
Howard

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey Howard...
Thanks for saving the bird and for quick thinking of taking him to vet...
Meds are appropriate and will benefit the bird to their most. Enjoy keeping him...:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Worried About Re-Injuring Greybird While Handling Her

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your help so far. I'm concerned now that I'm hurting / re-injuring Greybird's left wing when I handle her to give her her meds and clean her kennel. But I have no idea how to avoid doing this when handling her. Do you know if there is a way to do so?

Thanks again!
Howard

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The Enro dosage for that bird would be about 5mg once daily for 10 days. They have proven that the old way of dosing Enro doesn't work as well as giving it once daily. It works better when it is the higher amount one time daily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts