Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I hope someone can help me. I found this pigeon who seems very injured, it has a hanging leg that’s facing the wrong way and it’s lacking feathers in a big portion of its back (between its wings). I don’t know what to do? I’m bringing it to the vet as soon as possible but I’m scared they might just put it down? I’m very attached to this pigeon as I’ve known it since it was born (parents nested on my terrace). It is only four months old 😭. It’s now in a box in my flat and relatively calm. It drank water and ate plenty of mixed seeds, I don’t think it’s very scared of me since I’ve been feeding it and other pigeons for a while so he already knew me (so much that it jumped in the box itself when I was trying to catch him). I’m attaching pics, hope anyone can help us
Bird Beak Feather Tints and shades Tail
Carnivore Dog breed Floor Wood Snout

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Would tell the vet that it is your pet so he will be fixed and not just euthanized. Our beloved feral Phoebe was almost decapitated and had a broken wing and the vet was able to save her. Dont know how badly the leg was injured. Hopefully the vet can reattach it properly. Have seen birds do ok without a foot or a leg however. Am wishing you the very best for your pigeon and hope he is better soon. He will likely need antibiotics and pain meds such as meloxicam so you may have to keep him indoors in a small cage while he is healing.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Tell the vet this is your pet pigeon that got injured. First phone and ask if they treat pigeons. The leg is probably broken and he got attacked by other pigeons. Pigeons will drive injured and sick pigeons away, as they will attract predators.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hi! Welcome to PT and thanks for helping him 😊!

As first thing, try to carefully check his body for injuries (sometimes they are difficult to find because hidden by feathers). Do you see any wound? If yes, you can rinse it with some saline solution (you know, like the one for contact lenses) then disinfect it with something like Betadine and apply an antibiotic cream twice a day.
We are treating an injured pigeon who has a broken leg, missing feathers and also a broken wing. Surely a predator attacked her. At first we thought about a seagull attack but when we checked her the following morning we saw some punctures on her leg so we decided to give her even an oral antibiotic (you know, the punctures looked like cat or rat teeth marks...). We also give her for some days metacam.

We brought her to the vet, she put a bandage on her leg. She has to keep it for 3 weeks.
We have to keep her into a small cage.
Her leg seemed "fake", it looked like rubbish and it was hanging down...

If you decide to bring him to a vet don't let him there, more likely he would euthanize him. Also don't leave him to any association (like LIPU, etc) because they will euthanize him.
Some vets don't treat birds and others don't want to visit pigeons (even if you want to pay for the visit) so I would call the clinic before going there (you know, so you can avoid a waste of time...).

Later I will post a pic of the bandage. If you are good in similar stuff you can try to put the bandage on your own (surely you can find some tutorials online). About me, I am terrible at similar stuff 😝.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone! I got in touch with a bird vet this morning and she told me she can only see my pigeon only next Friday😭 (but suggested I give him vitamin B and put some lotion on his leg). I brought him to another vet who was willing to see him today and he’s doing X-rays on him later today to see what can be done to help him. I left him there, I hope the vet doesn’t do anything stupid omg. I told him very clearly that I care for the pigeon and I’ve been feeding it for weeks and that I intend to take him back home with me…

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so, updates on the little fella we called Picciù. Yesterday the vet did X-rays and his shinbone (tibia) is broken in half 😢 he wants to perform surgery on him, he asked for 280€, which I don’t have at the moment so I brought him back home with me hoping I can raise some money among my friends and family.

I’m phoning the avian vet tomorrow to check if she can see him earlier than Friday because the vet who did X-rays is not specialized in birds so I’d like to get her opinion before doing anything.

Today Picciù seems to be doing fine (except for his leg of course), he ate a lot of food and is generally more confident (he wouldn’t stay still and kept looking for food lol). We changed his box and moved him to a bigger and clean one (we got absorbent pads so it’s easier to keep it clean). We’re also giving him vitamin B.

What do you think we should do if we can’t raise enough money for the surgery? I’ve seen many videos of people rescuing pigeons with broken legs and it seems to me that maybe it could still heal if we can put a splint on his leg or something like that…
Bird Beak Wood Grey Feather

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that he has a good appetite and that he is doing well (except for the leg, of course).

I attach some pics of the pigeon we are caring about. The leg was broken in two places and, as I said, it was hanging down. It looked like a fake leg... I brought her to the vet, she did not talk about surgery and only put a bandage. You can get an idea from the pics. As I said she must keep it for three weeks. The vet told me to keep the bird into a small cage (she said "the smaller the better") because she absolutely needs to rest the leg (and the wing...). I will tell you how she is doing when I will remove the bandage (how she walks and so on).

Years ago my pigeon Fulmine was operated because she broke her leg. The vet put a "spike/chiodo" (I don't know the right English name) into the leg and the leg is perfect. It's like it never got broken.

Ps: the foot is dirty because I'm keeping her into a very small cage and I can't touch the foot..

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that he has a good appetite and that he is doing well (except for the leg, of course).

I attach some pics of the pigeon we are caring about. The leg was broken in two places and, as I said, it was hanging down. It looked like a fake leg... I brought her to the vet, she did not talk about surgery and only put a bandage. You can get an idea from the pics. As I said she must keep it for three weeks. The vet told me to keep the bird into a small cage (she said "the smaller the better") because she absolutely needs to rest the leg (and the wing...). I will tell you how she is doing when I will remove the bandage (how she walks and so on).

Years ago my pigeon Fulmine was operated because she broke her leg. The vet put a "spike/chiodo" (I don't know the right English name) into the leg and the leg is perfect. It's like it never got broken.

Ps: the foot is dirty because I'm keeping her into a very small cage and I can't touch the foot..
Thank you for the pics, this bendage is very similar to those I saw in the YouTube videos , I hope your pigeon recovers well!!!

as for your pigeon whose leg was fixed with a spike, it makes me very happy to hear that it fully recovered because it’s what my vet suggested as well!! I’m talking to the specialized vet tomorrow and see what she suggests, but in the meanwhile I’m raising funds for the surgery on my Instagram and we’re already at 75€ so maybe we’ll get there and I will be able to let my baby pigeon have surgery if it’s needed!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(I think my previous reply wasn’t posted, it says awaiting moderation idk why). Anywayyy, thank you guys for your precious help and advice!

I booked an appointment with the avian vet who will see us on Wednesday (not Friday as she previously said, yay!). In the meanwhile I will be reading as much as I can on how to care for pigeons (it’s my first time), but I almost raised all money needed for the surgery, I spread the word on Instagram and nice people are now donating so we’re already at 200€ 🥺

Do you guys have any advice on how to handle him? He tried hitting my hand with his wing every time I put my hand inside his box to change his water and give him food. I need to pick him up to change his absorbent mat but I have no idea how to do that…

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Let us know what the vet will say on Wednesday!

Glad to hear that there are so many kind people!

It's a good sign that he is wing slapping you 😁.
I imagine that you have a carrier: you could put him inside it while you are cleaning his cage and replacing the puppy pad trainer.

If you have any questions about pigeons, feel free to ask 😊!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Would tell the vet that it is your pet so he will be fixed and not just euthanized. Our beloved feral Phoebe was almost decapitated and had a broken wing and the vet was able to save her. Dont know how badly the leg was injured. Hopefully the vet can reattach it properly. Have seen birds do ok without a foot or a leg however. Am wishing you the very best for your pigeon and hope he is better soon. He will likely need antibiotics and pain meds such as meloxicam so you may have to keep him indoors in a small cage while he is healing.
I dont recommend cage though. Keep bird in the 5 sided box as the pigeon likes nest boxes. They like the dark privacy in back of box. No cages please. Pigeon cannot be kept 'in jail'.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I dont recommend cage though. Keep bird in the 5 sided box as the pigeon likes nest boxes. They like the dark privacy in back of box. No cages please. Pigeon cannot be kept 'in jail'.
And at night if your nervous about flying around, just turn box towards wall. Also put cushioning in box like a towel or t shirt wrapped like a nest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi! I only want to ask what the vet said yesterday.
Hello, sorry for not updating sooner! So the vet isn’t very positive about his leg recover. The leg is broken in two different places and in one point the bone was sticking out 😢 it had already started to heal in the wrong direction…
she anesthetized him and put it back in place and bandaged everything up in a way that he can’t bend it. She thinks a predator got him and held him down for a long time since he’s lacking feathers in a whole section of his back, poor baby…

the big thing is that he doesn’t have any sensibility in his broken leg, he didn’t react if she touched it. As I told you, she’s not positive that the leg can be saved but we’re trying with the splint for two weeks and then she wants to see him again, but she said that maybe it will have to be amputated. If he doesn’t fully recover, of course we won’t be freeing him but we will keep him with us.

he’s now on painkillers for 5 days and antibiotics for 15 days. I also bought vitamins, calcium and a reptile lamp for him to stimulate calcium production.

As for me, I’m still trying to learn how to handle him, today I was able to pick him up for the first time using a towel, at the beginning I could feel his little heart running so fast but after a minute he totally calmed down thankfully. He’s a precious little boy (or girl, who knows) but he keeps wing slapping me lol

I’m deadly scared I do something wrong and I’m unable to properly take care of him during his recovery but I’m really trying my best 😢❤‍🩹

Attachments

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
You are doing well! Do you have his cage on a table? They feel safer when off the ground. Cover all sides with a blanket and only leave the front part open. When you approach the cage to take him out, do this at eye level. You can also nod your head before taking him out. This is a friendly gesture that pigeons use towards each other. I know this sounds silly, but I do this with one of my pigeons and then she nods back at me!

Pigeons love chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. In moderation, as this has a high fat content. First put a little bit in with his food. When he starts eating them, you can offer from your hand. Pigeons view hands as not part of you. Even handraised babies get wary of hands when older. They love being scrathed around the head and under the eyes.

Take things slowly, with a lot of time and patience he will get used to you.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Thanks for the update.
Even the leg of the bird we are caring about was broken in two different places but at least the bone was not sticking out... I really hope that the vet won't have to amputate Picciú's leg 🤞. In the bad case, I can assure you that disabled pigeons can have a good and happy life.

Surely a predator attacked him. He shows all the typical signs of an attack (over the years we rescued different birds attacked by predators.. Here they are often attacked by seagulls): missing feathers on his back, broken leg...

Calcium/vitamin supplements could interfere with some antibiotics (for example, calcium makes doxycycline less effective) so, if you plan to give him supplements while he is taking antibiotics, ask to your vet an opinion.

You are doing a great job with him so, don't worry, I'm sure he will be fine with you! For now just focus on his healing process. For the moment he needs to rest his leg and so it's important to create a quiet and serene environment. Handle him only when needed.
Keep him into his small box/cage in a quiet room.
Give him a varied and balanced diet: you can add to his mixture dried legumes (the ones for humans that you can buy at supermarket) like mung beans, small lentils and split peas. You can even add a mixture for canaries containing dehydrated fruits (all my birds love it!).

Start to call him with his name: you will see, with time he will learn it.
What Marina wrote about nod is true, I do that with some of my pigeons and they reply to me (lol, I can see their eyes changing expression when we "talk" this way 😁😝). When he will be more confident with you maybe he will reply to you too!

Anyway, keep us updated and feel free to ask all your questions! We will be all glad to help you and Picciú!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts