Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I was looking out my kitchen window the other day and noticed a bird flapping around in circles on the ground in the snow. Needless to say I ran outside and brought the bird in. Turned out to be a pigeon. I called a friend of mine who is a vet tech, and assumed from what he was doing he would not survive. I put food and water out for him/her and left him in a quiet place. Needless to say he/she did survive and is doing just fine. (we are guessing that he was either grazed by a car or ran into a window.) Now he does not seem to want to leave.
I have attempted to release him a number of times now, but he does not seem to want to go. He is unusually tame for a wild bird. He sits on my hand and lets me pet him. Is this normal?
I have already picked up the pigeon food,and gravel. He has the spare room, floor covered in newspaper and seems to like to nest in my hanging spider plant.
But now what? I have walked him outside on my hand and lifted him up to leave, but he does not seem to have any interest in that at all. Is there anything I should be concerned about as far as parasites? Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Can you provide a photo? Where are you?

The bird sounds very tame, I would not try to release it as it doesn't sound as if it can fend for itself.

I am wondering whether it is an escaped pet , a hand raised wild pigeon or a fancy pigeon that was thrown out for "not meeting the grade" (we have one of those).

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
or she could just still be mending from her injury and needs more time(another reason for seeming tame)
where are located and yes pics will help determine what she is

1 - 3 of 3 Posts