Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Middle Island,NY area. I found a pigeon in my yard, it had a pink band on one leg and a yellow band with numbers on the other.It seemed like it was cold it's feathers were puffed and sadly someone tied a pink ribbon on the back of its neck and pink strechable bands went under its wings. I called the emergency hospital,they gave me a women who came all the way from Smithtown to take the pigeon. She has 200 of them,if anyone is missing there pigeon please email me so I can give you her phone number.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Who ever originally did all of that crap to the poor bird doesn't deserve to have it back. The lady that drove a distance to make sure it was safe should keep it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Who ever originally did all of that crap to the poor bird doesn't deserve to have it back. The lady that drove a distance to make sure it was safe should keep it.
Agree with this^

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Agree on tracking the owner and telling him/her exactly what you think about treating a pigeon in such a disgraceful way. Then say no way on this earth will you be getting the bird back mate!
Some people don't deserve animals if they are so ignorant!

Thank you for finding this bird a decent place to live.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't really see how everyone jumping on and saying "I agree" helps the person who posted in the first place.
And there is no way any of us knows who mistreated this bird.
Did the bird get lost and then was found by someone else and that person mistreated it? Why would the person who bred it, banded it, and then apparently raced it, then mistreat it?

Find the owner, ask lots of questions, then decide what to do with the bird.

When tracking down a lost race bird owner, you likely will have contact with the club secretary first. You can ask them about the reputation of the person who lost the bird

As a pigeon fancier who has lost a number of birds over the years, I sure wish someone contact me if they found one of my birds and give me the oppurtunity to bring it back home.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Jr Brown, it seems as though you are assuming a lot. You don't know that this is a racer, or even a homer. Those bands could have been put on the bird by anyone. Not necessarily racing bands. We all have a right to our opinion, as do you. But can't just assume that it is a racing homer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Jr Brown, it seems as though you are assuming a lot. You don't know that this is a racer, or even a homer. Those bands could have been put on the bird by anyone. Not necessarily racing bands. We all have a right to our opinion, as do you. But can't just assume that it is a racing homer.
I carefully reread the first post, and you are correct, the description of the two bands does not prove that it is a racer or even a homer.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
With numbers on the bands, it is not necessarily a homer or racer. We have a pet bird with bands put on by the previous owner. In general i think it is fair to try to track down an owner. But it sounds from the original post that something weird was being done with the bird.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And there is no way any of us knows who mistreated this bird.
One thing to add to that (and one could argue all day about the morality of or against it) but the fact is some people do 'leash' or 'harness' their birds so they can take them outside and around town or outside... Without more details what has been described could very well be one such type of tethering device...

To the OP, get the numbers off the bands, once you have those you can likely track down the owner or the breeder of the bird pretty easily...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well if someone would leash a pigeon around the neck, then they shouldn't have the bird.
Those might not even be bands that would ID who owned the bird. There are many bands you can buy that don't have that info. The bird is probably safe now, so why worry about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well if someone would leash a pigeon around the neck, then they shouldn't have the bird.
I never implied a single leash around the neck, but I was clear that one could argue all day about the morality of harnessing and leashing birds... It's not something I would do but, I would also use caution before pointing fingers without knowing any background or the entire background...

The OP said "someone tied a pink ribbon on the back of its neck and pink strechable bands went under its wings."

That is pretty vague, and could very well be the remains of a 'legit' harness, or it might not... It might have been put on the the owner or it might have been put on by someone else that found the bird prior... It could have been some mischievous kids that 'stole' the pigeon from the owner and did the deed... Or it could simply be the remains of something the pigeon got tangled in on it's journey... The blunt reality is 'we' don't know and 'we' have very little to build a legitimate assumptions upon without taking a BIG guess...

I recently read the story of Julius Neubronner and his use of pigeons for some of the very first arial photography, some might describe the harnesses he used to strap a camera on his pigeons back in 1908 'cruel' and proclaim he had no right to own pigeons, others like myself consider it quite an engineering accomplishment for the time, showing how strong pigeons really are in flight...

I currently own a hobby farm with many animals and I used to own a retail pet store as well a wholesale exotic animal business as well as working to broker the sales of exotics on the side... I gave up knee jerk 'judging' other animal owners without knowing all or least a majority of the facts of the situation long ago as I have seen that in too many cases people jump to some erroneous conclusions that turn out to be completely the opposite of the truth...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I never implied a single leash around the neck, but I was clear that one could argue all day about the morality of harnessing and leashing birds... It's not something I would do but, I would also use caution before pointing fingers without knowing any background or the entire background...

The OP said "someone tied a pink ribbon on the back of its neck and pink strechable bands went under its wings."

That is pretty vague, and could very well be the remains of a 'legit' harness, or it might not... It might have been put on the the owner or it might have been put on by someone else that found the bird prior... It could have been some mischievous kids that 'stole' the pigeon from the owner and did the deed... Or it could simply be the remains of something the pigeon got tangled in on it's journey... The blunt reality is 'we' don't know and 'we' have very little to build a legitimate assumptions upon without taking a BIG guess...

Think you are really stretching the scenario here. Doesn't matter. If the bands don't ID who he is, and they probably don't, then no way to find the owner. I think if they do, then the person who took the bird will know that, and try to find out where he came from. He is probably in good hands now.

I recently read the story of Julius Neubronner and his use of pigeons for some of the very first arial photography, some might describe the harnesses he used to strap a camera on his pigeons back in 1908 'cruel' and proclaim he had no right to own pigeons, others like myself consider it quite an engineering accomplishment for the time, showing how strong pigeons really are in flight...

I currently own a hobby farm with many animals and I used to own a retail pet store as well a wholesale exotic animal business as well as working to broker the sales of exotics on the side... I gave up knee jerk 'judging' other animal owners without knowing all or least a majority of the facts of the situation long ago as I have seen that in too many cases people jump to some erroneous conclusions that turn out to be completely the opposite of the truth...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts