Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I found a pigeon inside a trash can in a garage, I put in a cardboard box, and attempted to give it water with a eyedropper and spoon, I mixed the water with some salt and sugar to rehydrate faster, and its body temperature did not seem like a problem. Later I tried to get it to eat some corn but it won't even try. I also tried leaving some oats and dry cream of wheat with it but doesn't seem to want that either. I gave it some water around 1am and placed a hot potato around it in a sock to keep it warm along with a towel. It soon jumped out from the corner because I think it was warm enough and the potatoes were too hot for its body, i decided to try to feed it again in the morning. Today I bought a needless syringe and some rice cereal and mixed it with warm water, so it will drink the mixture but had minimal success. It doesn't appear to have any open wounds or damaged wings, which can extend fully. I think it just needs some energy to start flying again. Im pretty sure its an adult. The only problem is that it hasn't eaten for a while and I need some advice on how to feed it, and what to feed it. Some tips or anything that I appear to have missed will be appreciated as well thanks, JACK -btw I live in NYC.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hi Jack. Thanks for helping this bird. A picture would help to give advice as we would have a better idea of how old he is.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They aren't going to eat oats, dry cream of wheat, or rice cereal mixed with warm water. A wild bird seed mix would be good. If the bird is sick or injured, he isn't going to want to eat. And giving him water can e dangerous, as you can easily aspirate him. If you can get some frozen peas, which are easy for him to digest, you defrost 1/4 cup and warm up under warm running water. Not hot, just warm. These you can feed to him one at a time, and they also contain quite a bit of water, so that helps him also. Depending on his age or size you give him more or less. So knowing what he looks like would be helpful. This is how you would do it.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Thank you for helping him! Sounds like he is very hungry. How is he responding to seed and defrosted peas?jY3, thank you for posting the pigeon people link! Hope they can help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts