Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was referred to this site from a companion bird forum. They said some of the members on here might be able to help me help a sick pigeon I found. :)

Sorry for not introducing myself first, but I thought I'd get straight to the point as I'm worried about the big guy I found.

Yesterday after work I hopped in my car and waited for the car parked next to me to reverse and drive off.

That's when I noticed a domestic pigeon sitting where the car was parked. It was fluffed up and didn't move even when the car drove right over the top of him. His beak had crusty stuff on it which I at first thought might be blood.

So I toweled the guy (he didn't even try to move away). I took him back to my car and gave him a once over to see if he had a broken wing or leg. He didn't, but I noticed the crusty stuff on his beak was chocolate! And lots of it!

So I took him home and he is currently in my garage in a spare cage. I don't want to bring him inside because I don't want to put my pet birds at risk should he have some sort of illness.

I can feel his keel bone, but I'm not sure if this is normal for wild pigeons?

I gave him some water, budgie seed, blueberries, multigrain bread, sprouted seed, defrosted corn kernels and millet sprays. He has eaten a tiny amount and had a few sips of water.

He is unbalanced and a little weak. Could this be chocolate poisoning?

He had bloody, slimy and runny droppings all of last night:

A couple of hours ago he started passing normal droppins although there is a lot of urine. It is now a dark green colour, not slimy and solid. No blood.

My first course of action would have been to take him to a wildlife vet, however I live in Australia, and bringing in a wild pigeon would result in him being euthanized immediately. Non-native species are to be put to sleep and it is illegal to rehabilitate them back into the wild.

Here's the big guy:

So...

I have spot-on Ivermectin on hand. Should I treat him for worms and mites then?

I also have probiotics which I've been putting in his water.

I have Organic Apple Cider Vinegar as well. Should I put this in his water instead of the probiotics? With it?

He is not eating much at all (less then my budgies would eat). Should I force feed him?

I also have an array of antibiotics on hand. Baycox, Doxyvet, Flagyl and Meloxicam. I know using antibiotics like these without an avian vet diagnosing an illness could be risky (organ failure?). So should I just not risk it and go out and buy a broad spectrum antibiotic from Vetafarm? Is this even necessary?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Poor little thing, thank you so much for taking him to safety.

Can you put him on something warm? A hot water bottle wrapped in a towel would be great, but otherwise you could fill a sock with rice and warm that up in the microwave. Make certain that it is not too hot.

Then mix 1 pint warm water with 1/2 tablspoon of glucose or honey or sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Give it to him while it is warm and dip his beak in it to encourage him to drink. It is best to wait a bit before feeding him but it won't hurt to give him an activated charcoal tablet, broken up into quarters.

Have you washed the chocolate off his beak? Can you look inside his mouth to see if it is clean?

Can you also let us know where you are? There is always a chance that one of us is near enough to help.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi, welcome and thank you for helping this pigeon.
Treat him for parazites with Ivermectin and for canker and coccidiosis.
Spartrix, Flagyl, Fishzole are common drugs for canker and Appertex, Chevicox, Coximed are drugs for coccidiosis.
Blood in the poop is probably either from worms or coccidiosis.

Yes, handfeeding is good idea as he needs nutritions to get over disease.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Is that a string or thread wrapped around the toe in the first picture? The toe looks swollen.
If it is, it needs to come off.
I noticed the same thing and it needs to come off asap.
If he won't eat on his own you will need to hand feed him after he is warmed and hydrated. I'll get you the instruction.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Here are some hand feeding instructions...

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat.
You will need to feed 40-50 pieces per feeding and every time the crop empties.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'm just coming on and the first thing I noticed was the string as well.
I appears (from my angle) that it is wound around his right toe.

Charis is exactly right it must be removed immediately.

Please do make sure the bird has been warmed (at least 25-30 minutes) with some type of supplemental heat, such as has been suggested or a towel lined heating pad before any food or fluids have been given to him.

Cindy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the replies!

Yes, that was a human hair wrapped around his foot. He's actually missing a toe on the foot, but it seems to have healed. I can get a photo for you guys if needed? I've since removed quite a bit of hair from that foot. It was all tangled up in it, though I'm not sure if this could be the cause of him loosing the toe?

He has stopped passing blood in his droppings completely now. :) The last trace of blood was about 20 hours ago.

I've helped a wildlife keeper force feed an orphaned Glossy Ibis before (I help out at a wildlife sanctuary) so I know the technique you described Charis! Thanks for confirming that this will be alright for the pigeon too!

I got him to eat 10 defrosted pea and corn kernels this morning. I'll go feed him some more now since that was not enough.

I completely removed the chocolate from his beak. He is also in a warm place. I live on the Gold Coast, in Queensland, in Australia. It is 32 degrees Celsius (90 degrees Fahrenheit) at the moment in the garage. I was actually worried it is too hot for him. Is this alright though? Should I still add a warm water bottle?

So as far as the medicine goes...

How much Ivermectin do I apply? I use "Ivomec Pour-on for Cattle" for all my pet birds: http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/ProdSubList.cfm?Group_No=6502.

For them I use one undiluted drop of Ivomec at the back of the neck. Should I use the same amount for him?

So I should treat him for canker and coccidia? What dose do I give him?

Thank you so much for all the help! He is actually looking a little more active today. :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Yes...1 drop of Ivormec is correct amount.

Do you have any metronidazole [ flagyl]for canker?

Apertex for coccidia?

Can you give us a weight for the bird in grams?

If the birds isn't eating on his own, you will need to feed him 40-50 pieces of corn and peas per feeding .
Sounds like he is in good hands.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
32 Celsius is Ok temperature, just make sure he has enough water and you can add electrolites/vitamins in it.
Handfeeding should be twice a day 40~50 pieces pea/corn per feeding. Even if he eats alone, you should make sure that these first days he gets enough food.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just went out and bought Coccivet by Vetafarm to treat him for Coccidia. I've added the required amount of drops to his water.

I inspected his foot again and removed some more hair! I think I got it all now. His middle toe looks dead on that foot as it is cold and very stiff. Will he lose this one too? :(

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hello,

Glad to see you here! I recommended that she come here to get advice from the wonderful people of Pigeon-Talk when I saw her thread on another bird forum. :) Glad to hear everyone has been able to give some great advice.

If you could post pictures of his feet, that would be great. Inspecting them for infection is crucial. It seems a tad weird that he had chocolate on his beak, I was just thinking - are you sure it was chocolate? Did you smell it or something? :p Odd that he has so much hair wrapped around his feet... Yeesh, I wonder if he belonged to someone who was abusing him? It just seems so odd.

Anyway, I am so glad that he is in good hands.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do you guys think of this poop?

At least there has been no sign of blood for the last 24 hours. However, this is the only type of poop he does now. It's very small, isn't it? Notice all the urine?

Vasp - I'm almost 100% sure it was chocolate on his beak. Not the normal chocolate bar type thing, but more like a chocolate mudcake or brownie mixture that was caked on his beak. It smelled very sweet and chocolatey (yes, I did smell it :eek:).

I only have one photo of his foot, and it's not very good. I'll take some more tomorrow when I take him out of the cage for feeding.

He had a walk around the garage today. He didn't want to fly at all (How common is it for these guys to fly? I only ever see them walking around) but he did have a bit of a stroll. He was a little unbalanced when I first put him down (possibly because he's missing a toe?), but he seems to be able to walk perfectly fine once he gets into it.

He's a cutie though!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Foot looks ok, just a bit antibiotic oinment if you can smear on top of it.:)
Poop is no good. He will need plenty fluids and vitamins/minerals to keep it up with this watery fluids. Let him eat and relax and please post his poops pictures daily. Check if there is any smell from them. Don't worry you are not the only one smelling their beaks and poops, I do that on regular bases with sick birds. I taste their medicines food and vitamins too.:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not sure how pigeon poop should smell? It definitely has an odour! Should it be odourless like my parrots' poop?

Do any of you have a photo of what a normal pigeon poop should look like? That would help a lot! :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts