Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this beautiful white female pigeon days ago, but noticed she couldn't eat. Her saliva seemed thick and even drinking was a problem.
Saw her days later on a ledge, fluffed up and then later that nigh I just happen to look out the window and saw her try to fly and missed the garbage can dropping in-between .
Ran down picked her up and put her in a large box with a bow with Marvel Aid Oral Remedy..
She seemed to not be able to breath, only through her mouth.
I tried to open her mouth and drip it down the throat but a lot didn't or couldn't be swallowed.
I had a dove whom passed and don't really know anything about pigeons or what they can catch..
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
keep her warm in a box or cat kennel with a heating pad set on low underneath half, if you can, line it with something soft like fleece.
can you look in her throat to see if it's pink and clear, do you see and cheesy white looking stuff in there, is there a smell? how do her poops look.
can you take pictures of her and her poop and post them?
does she have a band?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Here's a resource for you.

The Wild Bird Fund, Inc.
c/o Animal General
558 Columbus Ave
New York, NY 10024
646-306-2862
Animal General is located on the northwest corner of Columbus and West 87th Street
http://www.wildbirdfund.com/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
keep her warm in a box or cat kennel with a heating pad set on low underneath half, if you can, line it with something soft like fleece.
can you look in her throat to see if it's pink and clear, do you see and cheesy white looking stuff in there, is there a smell? how do her poops look.
can you take pictures of her and her poop and post them?
does she have a band?
I haven't looked inside her mouth, but I know she is breathing with her beak opened, like she can't with it closed.
Her scat is white and runny, though she tries to peck and eat she can't seem to be able to put anything in her mouth and like I said her saliva is dripping even after she takes a drimk.
I did smell something, but thought it was simply her being dirty.
I've had a RN in the past so I'm used to bird smells, but I smelled something like sickness from her.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Thank you for helping this poor pigeon.
Can you take her/him to the place Charis posted?
It sounds like s/he has canker and needs medications asap.

Reti

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
does sound like canker which is easily treatable but you have to look in her mouth soon and confirm it.
if she is in respiratory distress she needs meds asap

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hi,

It does sound like canker, but time is of the essence. She needs to be on medication and probably tube fed if she's badly obstructed. Two days have already passed.

I'm in Queens. Can you get her to me? I'm back on the UWS tomorrow.

Jennifer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts