Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I found a white dove yesterday in one of our farmed fields. Ironically, it was during a ride that I put on every year to raise money for our local Wildlife rehabilitation society in memory of one of my horse boarders that passed away 5 years ago. A white dove... how symbolic! And it sure needed our help! SHe is in good weight and has good muscling around the keel. SHe seemed quite dehydrated (I suspect she hadn't had anything to drink in at least 36 hours) and had survived a night of 80 km/h winds and near 0C temperatures. I put her in a quiet pet carrier with food and water yesterday and she has been drinking a bit, but not much. She has been poking at her food, but not with gusto. I suspect she is a little shocky but is there anything I can do to encourage her to eat and drink? I've just got her on a wild-bird mix with cracked corn and warm water. SHe is bright-eyed but not moving much. Her feathers are sleek and not fluffed (they were quite fluffed up yesterday,, but I suspect that is from the cold and dehydration). SHe is banded, although I have not taken the time to look closely at the band. I suspect she is a "wedding release" dove and I'm not terribly inclined to find her owner, if that is the case. However, I am not sure about that, either. Any suggestions are welcome.

Laura

·
Registered
145 Posts
i would try to get her to her rightful owner.
im sure they have put alot of time and mony into the bird.

thanks for saving the bird though!!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If it were me, I'd check the band and contact the owner, to ask if they'd like him/her back. Some people do, others don't, but chances are they will since losing birds can take a toll on how many birds they can release for special occasions.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
so this is a pigeon, not a ringneck white dove? if it is a pigeon you need to contact the owner. you can post the info here. if it is a RN dove may not beable to contact owner as ringnecks usually just have a marking band on them...so which is it a white pigeon or a ringneck dove? if it is a pigeon, you can try to post a pic to see if it is a fancy breed, or a homing pigeon that has lost it's way.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Most of my ringnecks had NPA or ADA seamless bands on them :) So there could be hope even if it is a real dove :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a ringneck I believe and it has CPFA 09 on the band (Canadian Pigeon Fanciers Association). It is quite small - just bigger than my cockatiels, and has a long-ish tail and small bill. Looks exactly like the photos of the white doves - definitely not a Rock Pigeon. I'm just concerned about returning it as it has balled up manure on the feet and the pads are covered in poop - this kind of implies to me that the coop it was in was filthy. SHould I still be looking to return it? Part of me wants to (I want it to have its buddies back) but part of me doesn't want to for fear it lives in "squalor".

I think I'll try to contact the owner and if they want to adopt the little guy out, then I'll keep him/her. If they want her back, I'll return her.

Laura

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well you do not even have to think about it the bird was hatched in 09 this year, but other than that no way to know, so keep the dove and make him better, he got out somehow, I sure hope no one released him on purpose, but he will be safe now it sounds like. they do sell dove seed mix at the petstores try to find some and some hi calcium grit. when he is better and settled you can give him a bath. he should be kept indoors.....it is really something you found him on the memorial ride.. cool.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Symbolic- ... I think you have a new pet... and Welcome to PT!

Many of us here have ringnecks... so any questions ...ask away!

And... we would LOVE to see pictures----please!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts