Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smaalllll town, South Georgia. It's hot. Pull up beside a pigeon laying on the white line like dude whatcha doin out here.?. he crawls under my car, thankful for the shade, remember, its HOT. Get him out from under my car and there is blood on the sweater I sat him back on grass and he walks but came back to me ... called a vet they can't see wild animals... called a bird place in Milledgeville but nobody has called back... soooooo.?.?. He took some water but all I have in the car was lays potatoe chips and he didn't want one, lol... should I try to clean his wound??? Put him in the tub with a half inch of water let him clean it??? I'm assuming he's hella young cause he has yellow hars on his head still like between the feathers... haaaaaalp!?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rather wipe off the wound with a clean wet rag depending on how small the bird is so not put it in any bath I did that earlier to a baby bird I found and it ended up passing

·
Registered
6 Posts
be very easy with him give him very moist dog or cat food he needs to be fed they can only go without food for 24 hours and you never know how long he could have been there

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put him in the vegetable garden and he skittered off under the edge of the baby pool.. he seems to kind of be using the "elbows" of his wings as crutches... going to offer water and wet cat food now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have any questions about not taking the food let me know but afterwards you should let him get rest in a small box with cloth or an old shirt

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Can you please post a photo of the youngster. Don't syringe water down his throat, rather dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in water to get him to drink. Handfeeding him defrosted green peas will be a much better option than moist dogfood.

He was probably hit by a car. Keep him in a box on soft bedding to limit his movement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you please post a photo of the youngster. Don't syringe water down his throat, rather dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in water to get him to drink. Handfeeding him defrosted green peas will be a much better option than moist dogfood.

He was probably hit by a car. Keep him in a box on soft bedding to limit his movement.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Try to get a dove or wildbird seed mixture for him. You can put down smaller dishes for him, easier to eat and drink from if he can't stand. What do the droppings look like? If green and creamy, then he is producing starvation droppings. Handfeeding the peas is quite easy. Defrost in warm water. Put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Open his beak with your lefthand, have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. Let him swallow and proceed with the next one. He will need 40 peas 3 times a day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try to get a dove or wildbird seed mixture for him. You can put down smaller dishes for him, easier to eat and drink from if he can't stand. What do the droppings look like? If green and creamy, then he is producing starvation droppings. Handfeeding the peas is quite easy. Defrost in warm water. Put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Open his beak with your lefthand, have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. Let him swallow and proceed with the next one. He will need 40 peas 3 times a day.
Can I use canned peas??? Got him to drink a few times by dipping his beak... pic of droppings

Attachments

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Canned peas have too much salt, rather fresh peas. His dropping looks ok, was either recently fed or eating by himself. So at least not starved. Try to get the small seeds and first check if he is able to eat.

You can rinse the wound with lukewarm water and put some abtibiotic cream on. Betadine works well.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I'm not sure about the lima and black eyed peas. We always recommend green peas as they digest easily and are the perfect size for feeding. So I don't want to say it's ok to feed them and there might be problems later on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Aaahhh. Welll.. its what I've got.. he certainly drank 3 good slurps of water and possibly ate a bit of catfood... will set him up with all 3 in smaller serving dishes... check on him 1st thing in the am.. maybe got 1 total black eyed pea down.. when I would pry his beak open he'd twist his neck and I don't want to hurt him more..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He's flying!! In short bursts.. then falling off if whatever he lands on... I'm thinking maybe tomorrow he can be released .. I brought him home with me should I take him back to where I found him to release him? Its about 20miles ..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts