Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I turned around and found a pigeon walking around in my kitchen. No idea how or when it got in the apartment, but it was dripping a little blood and obviously not able to fly. I can't see where the injury is, but we do have two indoor cats...

No band on either ankle.

I've made a few phone calls, but no luck getting any real help. Any suggestions? At the moment, the pigeon is in a cat cage (away from the cats) draped with a towel, with a bowl of water and a little bread inside the cage.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
If it was injured, even just a little, by a cat then it will need an antibiotic like Clavamox.

John

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Poster says he is in Culver City.

Any Forum members nearby ?

Bird needs treatment ASAP....if it was attacked (and it was) it only has about 48-72 hours max where it can suvive w/o antibotic treatment. In the meantime, if you haven't...

Flush the wound out with tepid water and see the extent of the injury.

Time is of the essence here....

Thanks for helping !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking promising...

I finally found a woman in Rancho Palos Verdes who says she will take him in. I guess she works with a Wildlife group in the South Bay and takes in a lot of birds. Now my only worry is keeping him alive and sprightly until tomorrow morning - I don't know if he's eaten anything I've put in the cage for him. The bowl is empty, but there is food spread around the cage, so hard to tell.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You can do this....

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat. You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the bird’s crop empties until you know it is eating on their own.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Did you check wound? It should be cleaned with saline solution and treated with antibiotic oinment, please!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Solved!

Alright, Mr. Pigeon is now in the capable hands of a lady in Palos Verdes who works (or volunteers) with a wildlife organization. It seems that she is the one in the organization who specializes in birds, so that makes me feel better. I tried hand-feeding him this morning and got nowhere, so what a relief.

Thank you all for your advice - it's great to know that there are so many out there who are concerned for these often overlooked creatures.

Keep doing what you do!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for finding a wildlife organization to take on this little rescue, and also for the update.

Will the lady update you as to how he is doing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts