Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I stay in Turin, Italy. I have found the injured pigeon (baby) yesterday on pavement and fetched it up. Its left leg thigh is swollen (and its is green in colour). I can easily see the injury and blood clot around its leg, completely from its thigh to foot. There is a puncture right at the joint of its thigh and its leg and blood clot around it. The right leg is nornal, but some places it is green in colour. Its neither able to fly nor walk or stand.
To give some relief to it, I took some amount of corn flour and wrapped it in a cloth and heated it and applied the warm pressure on its injury place. Some liquid like blood (a drop ) came out from its injury and i did not dare to put warm pressure on it again And after some time (half an hour) it ate few rice grains and drank water (normal tap water). The thing is It eats when ever I take a single rice grain and keep near its beak. Otherwise it will stay calm. It has a wings though with feathers but on its body there are only a few feathers. Can anyone please tell me what to do ???? Please treat this one as emergency message.

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
BUMP

This post needs it's own thread.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Bams,

It would help a lot if you could post some photos of the pigeon and the injuries.

I'm thinking the green colour may be faeces staining his feathers, especially as you say he can't stand.

If his right leg was normal, he would be able to stand; pigeons often stand on one leg. It seems as though BOTH legs might be broken, or else one broken/injured leg and an infection.

Broken bones need to be set as soon as possible or they will never heal right.

If the pigeon was attacked by a cat or a dog, he will also need Clavamox or Synulox as their scratches and bites are very toxic to birds.

There's also the possibility that he was hit by a car, and in that case there may be internal injuries to consider also. Or he could have been shot.

I don't know if there are any other members in Italy who could help you. It would be best, if possible, to take him to a vet that treats birds and do an X-ray. Sorry I can't be more help. Please post some photos if you can.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Take saline solution (warm water if you don't have). Clean gently wound to remove dirt and excess blood around injury. Take picture and post it so we can see what is this about.
Try to get mixed seed for wild bird please. Rice is not too appealing for pigeons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts