Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My children found an injured pigeon on our front porch. I am not sure the exact nature of the injury but there is blood on his wing. I do not know if a cat was the cause or somehing else. I do know that I have put him in an empty parrot cage and do not know the first thing about pigeons. I have tried to give him water and he is refusing. Should I bathe him or clean his injuries or just see if he makes it the evening? I have him in my bedroon away from my 6 cildren that desperately want to keep him! I live in Longview tX and can be called at 903-431-7411

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It would be very good to examine the bird thoroughly and look for any open wounds and see if the wing hangs in the proper position. It's possible the bird survived a Hawk strike and there may be a puncture wound on the crop or front of the bird. The crop is where food goes when a bird eats. It's easy to miss puncture wounds with all the feathers so take your time but be thorough. You should clean the wounds. What so you have for a disinfectant?
I'm sure your children are excited but it would be best to do the exam in quiet and calm, for the sake of the bird who is likely terrified and wondering what is next.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Good advice Charis.Neosporin would work well on any wound,after Charis's advice,i'm sure you have that around.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
lf he is still with you he will absolutely need antibiotics in the next 24 hrs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts