Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So perhaps a week ago, me and my house-mate were going to work when we found an injured pigeon fluttering in a garden pot. It is hawk migrating season in Los Angeles, and this pigeon was clearly attacked by one of them, myself being all to familiar with the markings after having lost one of our chickens recently to a hawk. The pigeon seemed surprisingly calm around us, and liked to fly around our house, often missing where it would try to land by a bit and knocking into a wall. After a couple days, it seemed to be longing for the outdoors, and I attempted to let it go, but it flew into a wall, then perched for a while looking stupid. We, feeling it would not survive the hawks, brought it back inside, and it did not seem perturbed by this.

When we first brought it in its poops were normal, but we were having trouble feeding it. Once we started getting it to eat, it started pooping very bright green and watery. Finding this meant an infection, we have been taking care of the pigeon, and the poops have returned to normal. However, the pigeon no longer seems able to fly in any real way, makes high pitched meeping noises when we come near it, where it then somewhat forcefully nuzzles its head against our fingers as if it were trying to stick it head in something. Otherwaise it just sits on the floor or up on a little box on the wall where it seems happy. It has no trouble eating seed, perfering quinoa to the wild bird seed we got, or drinking water. However I am worried that while the poops are normal and it is no longer poofing its feathers, it is still acting strange and unable to fly. Do any of you recognize these symptoms or have any advice on the matter? Thank you.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Can you post a picture? It sounds like you may have a youngster.
A picture of the poop would be helpful as well.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You are having a squeaker. High pitches are their call to be fed. Pushing beak between your fingers is the way they get fed, pushing it in throat of adult bird. He just recognizes you as parents.:)
Feed him keep him safe and he will be wonderful pet bird.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If he isn't eating on his own here is another method to get food into him which works well for me...

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat.
You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the bird’s crop empties until you know the bird is eating on his own.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to. The next step… seeds.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas and corn make it lumpy and squishy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I am working on getting pictures up and will continue doing my best for the pigeon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts