Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!

I posted these on a wildlife forum, figured I should post here too:

"My Fiance just came home from work to discover a wood pigeon next to our door step, just sitting there looking sorry for itself.

I had no difficulty picking up up, and it seems to have a broken leg (I can't detect anything else wrong with it.)

For the time being we've popped it into an empty (apart from some hay) hamster cage, and put said cage in the bathroom where it's safe and dark. (We have cats.)

It was very calm and docile as I handled it and stroked it, possibly due to shock, but also quite responsive (looking around, getting comfortable, had a nibble of my finger, etc.)

Any idea what to do?

I'm guessing that the vet is the best idea, though sadly I assume that it'll just be put to sleep. It's a bit difficult at the moment as my Fiance is working until friday and I cannot get out of the house myself, so we're a bit stuck.

Any help is greatly appreciated!"

"There are absolutely no wild life centres or similar around here (really, really annoying.)

I've popped some bread soaked in water in there for the moment, and on the advice of some friends I made a makeshift splint on his leg. Fiance will call the vet tomorrow morning, though realistically we could only get him to the vet on wednesday morning. I'm hoping he survives the night, and isn't too traumatised by my fussing."

"I'm in Milton Keynes.

I need to say that I'm totally wrong, it's not a wood pigeon. I was very panicky last night, and kept calling it a wood pigeon, when it's actually a dark rock pigeon. (Where I used to live, we only had wood pigeons, haha.)

My sister wonder if he could potentially be a racing pigeon or somesuch, due to how calm and well-behaved he is, and we wondered if maybe he could've snagged a ring on his leg and broken it in the process of removing it.
Of course, his behaviour could just be shock, and he could indeed be a wild pigeon.

I removed the splint, and his leg seems quite a bit stronger. He still can't use his toes properly (no grabbing, clenching, etc.) but he is able to hop around on it much better now.

We changed the bedding to newspaper and have given him wild bird seed (which he has been happily gobbling up) and water. No sign yet of him wanting to use his wings, but he seems fine apart from the leg.

Fiance should've called the vet today, should hear from him soon, and we plan to take him to the vet tomorrow morning.

Thanks again!"

Any advice would be brilliant, thank you!

Here's a photo:

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi

First thing: if you take him to a wildlife rescue, please check before taking him that they will not put him down and, if unreleasable, will give him a home or return him to you so a home may possibly be found. Same goes for vets (except obviously they can't give birds a home).

HERE is a link to other resources (map and county list) that as far as we know will take in pigeons.

Any sign of even a slight injury, like a small puncture wound, on the body or under the wings? If so, that could indicate he was caught by something and may need antibiotics to prevent infection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely, I really don't think he needs to be put down, he's such a lovely little chap.

I've had a look, and can't find anything. His wings, body, etc. all appear to be in good working order. No blood, no issues handling him, etc.

Thanks for the link!

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Oh, and well done for taking the trouble to look after him :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts