Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother came home for his lunch break today(he works on a ranch five minutes from our house) and was holding a dove. He said the dove had flown into the side of a building.
The dove, who I call Turtle, is currently resting in a bird cage that I had on hand. I've never had a bird before, and he currently can't lift his head, he's laying on the floor of the cage with his head either resting on its side or he uses his beak to hold it up.
He doesn't look dehydrated and will let me pet him, but I'm assuming that's because he's either still in shock or because he's injured. I have him in my room which is very warm because it's very warm outside and my window is open.
I took the water out of the cage because it occurred to me that he could possibly drown in it even though it wasn't filled very high because he can't lift his head. I haven't tried feeding him anything as we have no bird seed,(although I do have mouse food which is basically just seeds, so should I need that I could use it).
I don't want to stress him out any more than I need to. I'm not really sure what to do, he can't fly or hasn't tried to, so he may have a broken wing but his lack of trying to fly may come from shock, which may not have worn off.
(I'm also planning on keeping Turtle as a pet) I think he's a full grown and I've no idea if he's actually a male, but I can't tell so I decided to go with that gender for him. I will take pictures if anyone would like to see him, he's a Eurasian Collared Dove. I live (semi)near Boise, Idaho, so what should I do to help Turtle heal? Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
465 Posts
He likely has head trauma if he flew into something. He needs anti inflammatories, dark and quiet. He needs to go to a wildlife rehab center or a vet.

I can’t tell without seeing him, but what you describe sounds very bad. He needs to be seen ASAP.

If he does recover, I really don’t think it’s fair to keep him as a pet. He’s lived his whole life as a wild animal, and will likely find captivity stressful. Doves can be very stressy birds and may never adjust to captivity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.