Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found another pigeon today.

He's a really pretty guy. Different from most ferals here. His feathers are really soft... I found him under a bench in the bus terminal. He was standing on the corner, fluffed up. When I picked him up, I was like... there's no way he's alive. He is really, really thin. So I brought him home. He didn't poop in one hour (the time it took to get him home) and when I left him in the floor to prepare the other cage, I saw the poop was just water and urates. This is just lack of food, or could be something more?
I filled a sock with hot rice (my lamp died) and put it next to him.
Advice?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The sock filled with hot rice is a good idea (is this dry rice?). If it is warm rather than hot, hollow it out a bit and settle the pigeon on it.

When it is warm, mix 1/2 liter warm water with 1/2 tablespoon of glucose, or honey or sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, put some into a cup and dip the pigeon.s beak in it to encourage it to drink. Don't try to feed it just yet, wait a few hours to make certain that its digestive system us able to digest food.

Check the inside of his mouth just to make certain there are no cheesy canker growths. You could also feel around his vent area for any hardness or swelling and check whether the vent is clean.

Is he a squeaker or an adult? An adult will have a white cere (nose wattle). OK...I just checked and he is very young! A lot of youngsters leave the nest and are unable to feed themselves or to find food, so it is probably weakened by starvation. But the glucose in the water will meet its current energy needs without taxing his organs, so it will be OK not to feed it for a while.

Keep him warm (not hot) and quiet, that way he doesn't use up any vital energy.

Once he is eating (peas and sweet corn again!) and pooping after food we will be able to tell whether his poops are healthy or the result of starvation.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
He is definitely young, he still has the Einstein little yellow fuzzy's on his head. I would check his mouth like feefo said, and see if its pink or white and if it smells or the yellow cheesy stuff is inside. I would definitely keep him warm and hydrate before you try to feed him. min

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Yes, dry rice. That's what I understood? Warm-hot. With the sock, you feel it like warm rather than hot.
That's right. When I have to go out to collect fallen-from-the-nest babies I take a "warm rice sock" with me, it is perfect for the job, because it can be moulded into the right shape.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
You go to collect babies, like, "let's see what I find?". Hahaha! It's useful, but it looses warmth quite fast in my opinion.
LOL, no...the vet calls me when someone hands in a baby, usually they are baby wood pigeons that fall from their fragile nests in the trees.

Yes, it loses warmth quickly, but is OK for my little trips and at home better than nothing and, of course it can be rewarmed very quickly.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Pawbla, starvation can cause a pigeon to have a bad smell, but just in case, can you feel its body gently all over to see if there has been an injury?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No injuries, from what I can feel. He has a lot of feathers so I can't be 100% sure. He holds his wings a bit low but I guess that could be to avoid using up energy.

I haven't tried giving him a place to drink (he doesn't eat or move much so I thought he wouldn't drink anyways) but I'm giving him water + honey + salt with the syringe.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
He holds his wings a bit low
Hmm...I took one of my pigeons to the vet because her wings were slightly dropped and she has coccidiosis.:(

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
oh boy i hope the package i sent you gets there sooner than i think it will.
do you have peas and corn to feed him??

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i would keep them separate if you can as far away from each other as possible until your sure he is healthy.
make sure you don't cross contaminate especially when handling feces, so a lot of hand washing on your part.
one thing you may need to go out and buy that i didn't send was a de wormer, i didn't have much left.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
what about looking for some from people who have livestock, or a livestock supply place if you can't find any in town

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
You are doing the right things. Right now he needs food and warmth. Do the peas and corn food popping into his mouth. Hopefully he is still strong enough to eat OK. If he really starts freaking out or open-mouth breathing, then make sure a piece isn't lodged in his throat or windpipe, and stop for the time being. If he eats OK, feed him pretty often...he needs to get his strength up. Hopefully, you can find wormer too.

Also, as you will be holding him to feed him, really make a careful examination of his body for any signs of injury...scabs, blood, scrapes, missing feathers, etc.

If he responds OK to the food keep feeding him. If he can get a bit more stronger and stable, then you can probably give him a rinse to clean him up...but don't do that yet because he may be too frail.

The word is out in the Buenos Aires feral pigeon world: "Fine Pawbla if you need help !" ;)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
... and Pawbla will help xD.

I'll start feeding him, then ;3.

I think I can find a medicine that is for cocci and other things but in dogs and cats. If you'd help me with the dosage...

There are three options:

First:
Dimetridazole: 16,5 mg.
Sulfadimetoxin: 25 mg.
Excipients: 100 mg.

Second:
Dimetridazole: 165 mg.
Sulfadimetoxin: 250 mg.
Excipients: 600 mg.

Third:
Dimetridazole: 330 mg.
Sulfadimetoxin: 500 mg.
Excipients: 1.000 mg.

I don't know which one I'll be able to get, but I'd need the dosage for a normal bird and for an underweight bird. He's so thin! He doesn't reach 200gr for sure.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts