Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Janie and I'm some what new to the pigeon world. I found a baby pigeon the day in downtown Houston, someone had moved him onto a stair case off the sidewalk. I went ahead and brought him home because of the closeness of the road(a busy one) and that the stair case he was on was next to a parking garage
Enterence.

My dad raised while pigeons when he was younger/and college aged. At the moment I am going by what he did, which is feeding the baby oat meal in warm water. I brought the bird home I on Wednesday night and have been feeding him since then. I believe the bird is about 12 to 14 days old. He/she will eat out of my hand if I cup it(imagine how your hand looks holding a broom handle). The bird will stick his head into my hand and get a good amout of the oatmeal water and will get a few good mouthfuls of oats as well. I stop feeding him when he stops going after the food. I also take him and dip the end of his beak in fresh water after each feeding, just to make sure he's not dehydrating. He stay outside in his temperory housing for now, it's summer here and he's a wild bird so I figured it would be most comfortable there(he is on the back portch until 12ish and then is moved to the front of the garage with the door open a foot to two feet, garage is attached and remains relatively cool. At night it's back to the back porch).

My main concern is if what I am feeding him is ok? Do I need to feed something different, or add something more to his diet? I live in Houston, Texas, in America so the places I have access to are Petco and Petsmart and some private pet stores. If possible when listing things I may need to get to feed him give names of things with those locations in mind(don't want to go out and buy the wrong thing).

My Dad and I are perfectly content to keep the bird, so I'm not to worried about rehabilitation. My Dads birds when he was young lived in a coop out back and came and went as they pleased. We would like to be able to do this with him, if you all think it's wise. Planing on maybe clipping wings when he first learns to fly, to make sure he's fully grown and can eat well enough unattended, just in case he doesn't come back. We live in an urban area, that is heavily treed, and very nature oriented(quite a few wild pigeons around). Please share any and all information you have! At the moment bird(Peepers) seems healthy, doesn't like to walk much, but making him at least stand for a while during and after feedings. I'm sorry this was so long, looking forward to the replies!!:)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for rescuing the baby.

You can feed a baby bird formula-which has the nutrition he needs, because the oatmeal water is not good.

If the baby is 15 days old the easiest thing you can give him is frozen peas. Defrosted, warmed and drained. He will get just about all he needs plus you don't need to give him water.Add some calcium vitamin D3 to it.

Also make sure the baby has an empty crop each time you feed him and that he is warm and so is the food. It is crucial for proper digestion.

Here is a link on feeding baby pigeons:

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/caringforababypigeon.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correction

Thanks for the response! Just want to clarify its not just oatmeal water I'm giving him. I pour the dry oats in a bowl and mix them with warm water then hand feed him this mixture. He eats the oats/water mixture.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, bought baby bird food at petco, but my picky little eating wants nothing to do with it. I don't want to force her beak open because she is content to eat out of my hand. If I mix the baby bird food up, then mix it with some of the oatmeal will that be enough to get her want she needs? Going to try peas later, she was pecking at the design on my shirt so maybe she'll like them.
Ps- jumping from male to female because don't know which she is.

Pps-she ran/flew ish to me in the back yard when I called to her today. :-D

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Please don't clip the pigeon's wings. He needs to be able to fly to build muscle strength.

I understand you think of the baby as a wild bird but since you intend to keep him as a pet, do bring him inside to care for him. Pigeons are very social and soon he will adopt you as his flock.

I agree with Skyeking...Feeding peas at his age are probably the best and easiest. They are they have the protein he needs.
Here are my pre-written feeding instructions...

You can hand feed defrosted peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps because you are having a hard time handling the pigeon, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. This method confines the pigeon without hurting him and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop a pea at the back of the mouth and over the throat. It gets easier and faster, with practice, for both you and the bird.
You will need to feed 30-50 per feeding [depending on the size of the pigeon] and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own. After a couple of feedings, most squeakers get the hang of it, pick up the peas on their own and naturally transition into a seed diet.

In addition to the peas,one time a day, put a small pinch of powdered oyster shell, which you can buy at most pet stores, will supply the calcium the baby needs to support bone health.You sprinkle it on the peas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, tried the peas, pigeon was somewhat interested.....though still wants to eat out of my hand like it would from a momma bird. There was a small amount of pecking at the peas, ate maybe a pea and a half once all was said and done. Again the pigeon is completely happy eating freely from my hand so I will not be restraining him and forcing the peas, for the time being until he learns the method of pecking and feeding himself I will continue using the baby bird formula which according the the link listed earlier is the first choice before the peas. Since rescuing the bird Wednesday night he has improved at least 100% went from be able to hardly hold onto the edge of my hand and balance to being able to half run half fly almost 6 feet to me and climb a parrot ladder and back down.....and that was just on the diet of oats in water.(just started the formula earlier today). Bird is healthy and already seeing feather growth on legs. I really appreciate all the advice and am working at incorporating it into the birds daily activities and diet. Will work on uploading some pics, maybe get a better estimate on age..though 12-14 days is my bet.

Ps-another week and the bird will be as big as my chihuahua...:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Baby is doing great, is able to sorta fly maybe 2feet when running on the ground. Eating normally and having great feather growth. I'll try to get on my desktop today to upload pictures. We are looking at trying to build a loft/coop for him/her and maybe some future friends.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts