Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I found a 10-12 (roughly) day old baby pigeon at work the builders moved it and the mum never came back so I took it home and warmed it up and gave it some food and water. What do I do now? Here are a picture when I first found it:

and this is today just after feeding:

Ay advice/help greatfully recieved to help this little bird thanks Dawn

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Dawnie,

Can you get your hands on some Ready Brek? If not, some day old wholemeal bread?

Cynthia

·
Registered
11,336 Posts

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If you have a heating pad, you can set it on low, and cover it with a towel, and place the baby on it. This poor little one is too young to know how to eat on his own. Or drink for that matter.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Dawn,

You might find you want to keep the baby as a pet, but otherwise this place might be able to help:

Mrs. Angela Downham (Chairperson)
12, Rookery Close
Kibworth
LEICESTER
LE8 0SD
Tel.: 0116 279 3789
Mobile: 07951 285 366
Fax: 0116 279 3789
Email: [email protected]
Website www.leicesterwildlifehospital.org

Description Rescue, care of sick, injured or orphaned wildlife with the objective to return it to the wild.
Meeting Times Open for casualties 24 hours. Charity number 1078817

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Another way of keeping a baby pigeon warm is to place a lamp next to its bed. An angled lamp with a red bulb is ideal, but failing this any lamp will do...or you can put its bed in the airing cupboard.

Cynthia

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a light near it and its in a glass tank without the lid on and a cardboard box over the baby and its warm to touch and thanks cynthia on te feeding tips they worked a treat. Dawn

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
That is one pretty little baby. How lucky you found it and are able to care for it.

Good luck and please carry on asking if you need any advice and please keep us posted as to what happens to it.

Janet

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will thankyou its so cute im just glad I can look after it or I dread to think what would have happened to it xxxx

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I forgot to say, these babies should come with a health warning.....
they have a nasty habit of stealing your heart....beware..;)

Janet

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
LOL it already has xxx
I remember falling completely in love when my first squeaker looked me in the eye, waggled her wings and squeaked!

Cynthia

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remember falling completely in love when my first squeaker looked me in the eye, waggled her wings and squeaked!

Cynthia
Sounds a bit like this one it was so sweet when it ate earlier waggling its wings and squalking to me and nuzzling me with its beak xxxx

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
How much is it eating and how often?

Is its crop emptying? It should empty completely at least once every 24 hours. If it is not emptying then try to get some infant apple sauce and feed it that...also, try lying it on a hot water bottle covered in a towel, it might need the extra warmth.

Can you describe the poops (frequency, consistency and colour)

Do you have the transport to take it to the wildlife hospital? They might have a look at it for you.

Cynthia

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much is it eating and how often? It has just eaten half a 8oz baby bottle full of porridge and baby apple sauce.

Is its crop emptying? It should empty completely at least once every 24 hours. If it is not emptying then try to get some infant apple sauce and feed it that...also, try lying it on a hot water bottle covered in a towel, it might need the extra warmth. Yes it is emptying but before now it was only getting half full now its full like a balloon

Can you describe the poops (frequency, consistency and colour) frequency im not sure consistency medium runny like normal bird poops and colour brown

Do you have the transport to take it to the wildlife hospital? They might have a look at it for you. I do but might leave it now its ate.

Cynthia
Thanks again for your help answers above xxxx

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sounds like the baby is being overfed. 4oz of formula is much to much at one time for a baby of this age.

You must always wait for the crop to completly empty before adding additional food or else you will run into crop statis.

Wait for the crop to completely empty, and then proceed with 5cc's of baby applesauce and then 10cc's of formula.

A baby of this age (according to your pictures) should be getting approx. 15cc's of formula every 4 hours if crop has emptied. There is no need for feeding during the night.

Thank you so much for saving and caring for this baby.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
A baby of this age (according to your pictures) should be getting approx. 15cc's of formula every 4 hours if crop has emptied.
I don't think the members of this forum will ever be in agreement of how much should be fed and how often! :D

This is from Helen's (Nooti's) instructions:

At 1 week, they should be on 15mls and will only need feeding every 6 hours. Then you can get a nights sleep.
This baby is supposed to be 2 weeks old. But I think that as crop sizes vary it is safer to let them eat until their crop is soft and spongy like a 3/4 filled balloon. And to ensure it is flat before feeding and empties completely overnight.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts