Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I found a banded pigeon very near my home. It caught my attention as it was sitting huddled on the ground by a bush and I easily picked it up.

It is very skinny and poops were watery. Have rehydrated, provided food (has taken some lukewarm defrosted sweetcorn and pecked unenthusiastically at seed), is currently in warm box with both food and water. It's poops are a bit better now, less green and much firmer.

Is very tame, fine with being handled/petted and will perch/eat on my hand, only given warning 'growl' a couple of times. Seems in otherwise good health, no injuries, clean intact feathers, bright eyes, good feet.

Seems quite tired, still perching but is swaying slightly. Has flapped and fluttered and wings are fine, doesn't seem any areas causing it pain.

One of it's bands has a phone number and I have left a message, no answer.
I have also located the association (royal pigeon racing association) and emailed their strays co-ordinator.

the non-phone band is GB12 J03722, the phone number area code is Dorking in Surrey, a couple of hours from me. It would be difficult for me to return it and I've previously phoned up about banded pigeons to be told to leave it alone (even injured birds which needed care).

What would you do now? I will see how the bird is in the morning, I can't much else other than make sure it's comfortable tonight and I have to work tomorrow.

Also I now have my pet budgie living with me I'm concerned that if the pigeon could be sick I risk her health too. They are in separate rooms and I am being scrupulous about hygiene. :(

Would really appreciate advice.

I am in Southampton UK

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Good of you to take it in :)

Yes, I'd just leave it to rest tonight. Maybe put a pinch of salt and glucose or sugar in its water (helps give electrolytes).

Its state suggests either it strayed a while back, or it's been in a long race and got exhausted.

Check him in the morning - let us know how his overnight poops are - and we can then advise on further care.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pigeon is about the same this morning but great news, the owner is coming to collect it Monday :)
Just two more days in it's cardboard B&B and it's going home

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Sounds good.

If the owner cares enough to collect his bird (as they should anyway by RPRA rules) then it will likely be treated okay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts