Pigeon-Talk banner

Found banded pigeon in NE PA

Tags
found bird
2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Jaysen 
#1 ·
Yesterday my best friend stopped to pick up a nearly road killed pigeon that appeared to be exhausted and slightly disoriented. She then brought it to me. There are no apparent injuries, wings spread fine, feathers appear clean no sign of mites or injuries that I could discern. Bird is banded with 621 IF SVN 2010 which if I'm reading it right means it was hatched in 2010 and belongs to the club from Sullivan County NY. I've sent an email to the address listed online in the pigeon directory.

As of now, he has been eating and drinking. I didn't have any wild bird seed in the house so he got organic broccoli seeds, organic whole millet, plus some chopped greens. Poop is a good mix of urates and solids, urates are a bit more watery than what I've seen in parrots. Poop is green today but I suspect this is from him eating the greens.

I haven't heard back from the person I emailed, I will try to call them later. My tentative plan is to keep for a few days until he appears strong enough to release unless I find out something to do otherwise.

Behaviorally he is quiet but alert and as I said has been willingly eating and drinking. I suspect he is somewhat stressed being in a house with dogs, a kid and activity. Was fluffed this morning but started eating when I put in fresh seeds.

Any advice? Anything I'm doing wrong? I can try to get pics later mornings are a bit hectic.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#6 ·
No corn is perfectly fine. At this point I would give the bird 1.5 oz of food in the morning and evening. The bird will likely eat all the food you give it. If it does eat all the food don't give it more right now.

Make sure fresh clean water is ALWAYS available.

Try not to get too attached or you might find yourself with a loft. ;)

#7 ·
:) No loft here thanks. I've got a 5 yr, a husband, 8 chickens, 3 dogs, one each of iguana, guinea pig and hedgehog and a conure. The inn is definitely full! Plus I'm pregnant.

But I am a vet tech and seem to be the home for wayward animals so this one will recuperate here and then hopefully be on his way home in a few days. I appreciate the advice and having this resource to help me take care of him the best possible way.

#8 ·
Since you are a vet tech...any possibility of doing a throat swab and maybe a fecal check? Could be the bird has canker or coccidia.

#9 ·
You vet tech seems to be collectors!

A bit more technical for you since you probably have all the tools at your disposal. Normal feeding for a young bird (anything born after Jan 1) this time of year will be carb heavy and just about all the bird can stuff in himself. Since food is the only real control device the racing birds are fed on schedule. A starving bird may overeat and hurt itself. So keep the servings a bit less than the bird wants until it start to get some weight back. Once the bird is starting to put weight back on. meaning it is no longer starved, then you can let it have as much as it wants. For now 2-3 oz is a bit more than it "should" have, but splitting it over 2 meals should make it ok.

The big thing to look out for right now would be canker. Think pigeon "strep throat". It will look like like a yellowish nodules in the throat and mouth. If it gets bad it will prevent the bird from recovery. Other vet types here can help you with that more than me.

Another thing that you will need is grit. You probably have some for your chickens. While not ideal it will do in a pinch.

Lastly, apple cider vinegar. Most racers add a tablespoon to a gallon of water to keep the birds "ph+" (acidic) to fight various parasites.

Let us know if we can do anymore to help.

#10 ·
Charis - I would love to but in this area at least pregnant vet techs don't have jobs...there's a school close by with a vet tech program so there's a higher number available to employ and 15+ years experience but limited by pregnancy gets trumped by young and willing to do whatever. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't be surprised if there is coccidia, such a common thing. Is it like many animals were there is always a low burden but times of stress can allow it to get out of control? Is it worth just treating prophylactically?
Jaysen - Thanks for all your info, it is much appreciated! I'll check the throat to see if there is anything going on in there. The bird looks good, he (or she, how does one tell in a pigeon??) is perching on a branch I have in there and food intake and output are good. Seems to really enjoy the heat lamp, I'm hoping to start turning that off once there's a bit more weight on the bird. :)
Yes, ACV is commonly used in chickens, and even mammals...so I have that. Helps particularly with yeast and sour crop issues. I do have grit for chickens, or driveway gravel :D My chickens free range during the day so they tend to pick and choose what they want.

#12 ·
Sexing is tough. Our mentor suggests the following method: if the bird lays an egg, it is a hen. If it hasn't laid an egg it might be a hen. So far he has a pretty good track record at telling which birds are hens.

A pigeon will pick up gravel. So some very small pieces (less than 1/8" max) will work. Dedicated grit typically has some minerals added.

I would avoid preventative treatment. The owner/handler may have already treated the bird prior to the race or have the bird on a medication plan. At this point your best plan of action is to keep it fed and hydrated then treat only what you can verify. Racing birds are pretty well taken care of and from the look of that bird I would hold off until a symptom or two shows up.

As to your heat lamp, the birds run about 107deg and it is just enjoying the heat. give it another day or so and you can shut it off with no problem as long as there are no other signs of sickness.

Pigeons are not really "perchers" like other birds. They prefer platforms to sticks. If you have a short section of 4x4 you can place on the bottom of the cage the bird will probably prefer it. Or a larger branch. Look for something about 2" round. Like all birds they want to be high to survey the surroundings. Just make sure that it is stable.

As a vet tech you probably already know this, but there are no diseases that transfer from pigeons to humans. There could be a parasite problem (round worm is the one that comes to mind) that you might want to think about given your impending familial addition. Other than that there is no danger for you to be around the bird.

Once again, let us know how this works out for you.

#13 ·
I love the sexing technique seems to be quite accurate ;)

I received an email, not from the owner, but from someone else regarding this pigeon and if its ok with you I would like to forward it to you and get your opinion on it. I don't feel right posting it but would appreciate knowing your thoughts on the situation.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.