Pigeon-Talk banner

Found banded pigeon or dove

Tags
found bird
2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Skyeking 
#1 ·
We found a bird with a copper band that begins with IRAN. Any ideas? It's not flying but is walking around. Thanks!

#4 ·
I've got it in a cage inside with food and water. I've never taken care of a pigeon, so if you have any recommendations please let me know! It didn't try to fly when we caught it. It's more active today than yesterday, and is eating. I'm giving it wild dove feed from the bird store near me.

#8 ·
You can easily tell if the wings are clipped they will be short. This may be a young bird and definitely not flying because it is sick.

Please make sure the bird is kept in a warm area free from drafts of air.

Is she eating well, what does the poop look like?

#9 ·
She (can you tell it's a she?) is eating well for sure. I got her some grit but I haven't seen her at it. It seems like she forgets where the water is. I keep showing her and then she drinks, but I haven't seen her drink on her own. She probably has though. Her poop is squirty, dark green in the center and liquidy white and clear. She sort of flew chicken-style from the couch to the bookshelf. I haven't given her a lot of chances to prove her ability though because I'm worried that she'll get hurt.

#12 ·
Not sure if she is a hen, just looks like it. We don't recommend meds if we don't know what the disease might be. she just may need her gut ph put back on track and repopulate good bacteria. Can you put a drop of organic apple cider vinegar in the waterer, or give some probiotics? That will sure help crowd out bad bacteria.

#16 ·
Well, it's the vet that I was referred to for birds. So I suppose so. There's a wildlife hospital nearby, but they don't take domestic animals at all. They were my first thought but the band made me think they would turn me away, and they're a bit far to drive for that. I've taken many animals there but they only take native wildlife. I called my vet and told them the situation and they gave me the number for a local vet that sees birds. If nothing else, I'm pretty sure I'll get another reference.
I have probiotic capsules- do you break them open and put them in the water, or what?

#17 ·
I am not too sure the human probiotics are good for pigeons. There are probiotics for birds and vitamins for birds over the counter. if you are using Apple Cider Vinegar then 1 spoon per gallon use.
Good luck with the vet. And thank you for caring for the cute little one. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.