Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was headed out for errands today, I was headed down the side street by my house to towards the main road when I noticed a dove sitting in the middle of the road. I assumed that it would fly away as most do, however I very quickly found myself having to swerve around it because it did not move, this struck me as odd. I made a u-turn and parked, walked across the street and knelt down next to the bird (it was not facing me), and it had not moved even though I was within inches of it. I went to pick it up, figuring it would struggle, but it did not, it simply stepped onto my hand. Once I had it perched on my hand I turned it towards me and made a grusome discovery.:(

She either does not have eyes or they are so sunken in that you can not see them. One of them was bleeding when I found her, however I was able to get it to stop fairly quickly. She has NO other injuries, nor does she appear sick. I would not necessarily call her "alert" but she is responsive. I have been able to giver her water and I got her to eat 3 small mealworms, however she does not go for the softened dog food or bird food, and she will not eat or drink on her own. I have cleaned her up and she seems to be stable, but I know how quickly a bird's stability can change if the right course of action is not taken.:confused:

I am a certified veterinary assistant and I will rescue and rehab just about any animal in need. I do not however, have a lot of experience with birds and I want to do what is best for her and be able to help her.:confused:

ANY and ALL advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!:D

I am located in Maricopa County, AZ, US

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Is this an adult with the ring already visible or is she a youngster? Can you post a photo?

They don't eat mealworms but until she is able to feed herself you can open her beak and pop in warm defrosted corn and peas and later soaked seed.

One way of encouraging her to eat and drink on her own is to place her inside a tray of bird seed, and inside a bowl of warm water, but you will probably have to rehydrate by gavaging rehydration fluid into her crop first.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Please hydrate her first. You can put warm water with a pinch of sugar & salt in a bowel. Since she doesn't see, you can give her with a spoon water. Keep the spoon under her beak; beak in the water ( not not go over the nostrils) Great idea to put her in the bowl of water.

Hand feed her defrosted peas at room temperature. Hold her on your lap, open her beak, and put the pea in the back of her throat; she will swallow it. Give about 30 -50 peas until crop is full. Do not feed until the crop empties.

Please put some pic with her eye problem.

Thank you for your care for her. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is very much an adult with the ring already visible. She found her water and seed on her own over night and is much more active today. I am not able to post a picture at this time, but for what it's worth the eye areas are looking better today. I am still assisting her with feeding and watering her to make sure she keeps on track to a good recovery. Would it be ok to feed her baby food or is it too runny? I will try to coax her with some peas this evening. As far as an enclosure/cage goes, how big should it be and how should it be set up for her?? :confused:

Thanks for the quick replys! :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Peas are better; she is not a baby..and you don't want her to aspirate the baby food.
Defrosted Peas have proteins and will keep her also hydrated.

I am glad she started to eat on her own.

Can you make a close inspection all over her body; check for wounds and punctures. If she was attacked by a cat or hawk she will need antibiotics ASAP.

How is her poop?

To attach pic, at the bottom of the box you write click Go Advanced, Attachment, upload from your comp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok we will deffinately try the peas tonight. She has no other wounds or signs of illness. What antibiotics would be safe for her though? Her poop seems very normal for a bird to me, more white than black, a little runny. Should she be given a perch? She is in a cage right now and is just sitting on the bottom which is cover with hay and I have her food dishes down with her. She walked around my room today and I even gave her a little bit of outside time (supervised of course).

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Baytril ( enrofloxacin) is best to fight any infection, especially if some bacteria is building up in her eye wounds. If not Baytril, then Amoxicillin may be you have. You will have to weight the pigeon to know exactly how much you should administer.

For the eye best is some some antibiotic ointment. May be some one can help with what's best.

Is the eye swollen? Any discharge? How are the eyelids. Are the eye balls still sunk in?

Can you gently place her on your lap, you can wrap her in a towel, and open her beak. Look in the mouth and back of her throat? Do you see any cheese like lumps. Is there any bad smell coming out of her mouth. This is to rule out any case of Canker, though Canker can be internal too.

Looking forward for pictures.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Is the poop consistent? Not watery.
Just white is not good. She has to be fed otherwise she will die of starvation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She does not appear to have any infection. The only thing we have been able to force feed her is baby food and water, and yes without her choking on it. We tried for over an hour last night to get the peas down her and we couldn't get one down her, and that was with 3 people helping. She did not seem to find her food last night, however I think she is still finding the water. I am going to try feeding her again now and see how it goes. The poop has been very consistant with black and white, slightly runny (it is not formed like dog poop).

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Do you know of a vet that may be able to help out. If she found the seeds before perhaps she Will gain. There is dove food in the wild bird section of petsmart.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
She does not appear to have any infection. The only thing we have been able to force feed her is baby food and water, and yes without her choking on it. We tried for over an hour last night to get the peas down her and we couldn't get one down her, and that was with 3 people helping. She did not seem to find her food last night, however I think she is still finding the water. I am going to try feeding her again now and see how it goes. The poop has been very consistant with black and white, slightly runny (it is not formed like dog poop).
:eek: How is that possible? No success with 3 people.
Here is a video for you to understand. You may want to warp her in a towel.
Did you kept her head up? If it was down, then no chance the peas would go down the throat. Push the pea in the back of throat.

This pigeon in the video is more like a pet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts