Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have rescued a pigeon....

I have a rabbit style hutch that I am using for it. I would like to know how to "outfit" it.

It has a "A" frame roof, so I was thinking that would be a good place to put a nest box. I just need to know how to construct it.

It's eating (pigeon food) and drinking, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than rest. I know it's tired and thin. But after recovery what can I expect?

Any suggested books on the subject? I just want it for a pet with some releases.

I know this has been asked a million times....I have been reading as much as I can in the limited time that I have to do this in. Thanks in advance for the information!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
If this is an older/adult bird, and not a homer, then releases will not be part of its life with you. Where did it come from and how was it kept before? That is a good place to start. Do you know its age and breed because that will also change the answers a bit. If you do not have that info, could you post some pics as that might help i.d. it.

2"x3" lengths of wood make good perches. You should plan on having several. The box should be installed on any protected wall where you can see in and also reach it. Also, if possible, one bird alone is not nearly so happy as two!:D

If it cannot be released, then pigeons make great pets and there is lots you can do to give them a good quality of life with you. I have over 60 non- releasable birds and its really not a problem that they do not/cannot fly outside.

Keep asking good questions...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding Kippermom!

The bird was born in 2007. It's white with a few black feathers on it's tail. I have read that white ones are not good homers. It has a IF band on it. I contacted the owner but he doesn't want it back. The owner released it in Mississippi for a race. I found it in Virginia.

Should the perches be installed at different heights? There is one support beam in the cage that's high, but the bird doesn't seem interested in getting to it. If I place it on there it will stay there.

What about the box? I was thinking about a removable one so I can clean the floor better. Should it be completely closed with a big hole? Or with one side open?

Thank you!

Normally I like to do my research prior to getting something!!! There is a lot of info for big room style coops that have open cubbyholes, but nothing on smaller ones.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm so sorry, I knowthis is heartbreaking for you. :(

You did so much to help this bird and gave him comfort and care. Remember, he is now in total peace and free of pain.

Thank so much for helping him and for letting us know.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thats terrible, I'm so sorry. It was really nice of you to help the pigeon. At least he didn't die alone on an empty stomach. Now you can get ready to give a pigeon a home, there are alot out there and you seem to be excited about helping this one out. I just got my first two pigeons about 7 weeks ago, they are inside and they free flight in a room most of the day, and I love them. I hope you get a chance to have a pigeon or dove. min

1 - 7 of 7 Posts