Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am taking ''Professor Peacock'' to the Lort Smith Animal Hospital tomorrow and hope they will be able to see me (will call before to find out if they can help my little birdy friend) - http://www.lortsmith.com/

INFO: Found 26 hours ago at around 10pm lying on ground near tree, appeared fallen out or attacked by starlings or something. Not very responsive to passers by (me) in shock/torpor..

Carried home, set heater on low settings 1 metre from the Professor, in a cat cage. My girlfriend checked him over and thinks one or two broken legs, definitely something wrong with one. Was in deep shock when we got him and very dehydrated so got plain water in eye dropper into his mouth. He's not moving much as legs seem extremely bad for him, uses wings to shift around and get comfy or flick off covering we put on him, when gets too hot. Used a dish probably too shallow (lid of a jar, only 1/2 cm deep..will replace with deeper dish but he won't move that much to get to it).

It's 1am now and will take him to the hospital around 8 or 9 after some sleep and seeing if he hopefully survives the night. He seems alright apart from the shock, dehydration, severe malnurishment.. tried to put some milk and bread crumb mix together to put in eye dropper to feed but was too chunky to go in the dropper. Got some baby formula today premix with milk, been making tepid so not cold and he's lapping that up and all the water we can give, until he is full and stops lapping. He cradles one leg with the other, his right seems worst, he lies on his right side with his legs hanging out, one supporting the other. Neither seems very good. Worried might have hit a car or truck (found on main road) and maybe internal damage - hasn't peed or pooped since finding him from what can tell, but will have good look at pillow cases we have used as padding tomorrow to see what is wrong. I have bubble wrap so will put that under him before taking him to the vet if possible. I don't like bringing him out of the cat box though because he gets a little nervous and kicks his legs a bit, but in a poor flailing sort of way.

So happy he has made it through the first 24 hours, and totally prepared to keep him as a pet. I'm in Australia and here are considered vermin as introduced species, but I just think of the pigeons that won medals during WW2 etc. How can you hate these beautiful creatures. So I am worried maybe the animal hospital (which is always overloaded as is non-profit working off donations, not taking money in emergency situations when people can't afford it etc - always operating at a loss) will consider some other animal more important than a pigeon, but hopefully they won't work there if they have that attitude. But I'm worried they'll take the easy road out with putting him down.

I don't want to let that happen - unless internal injury and better for less suffering. But I want the Professor to be with us and I don't mind keeping him so he wouldn't get picked on / killed in the wild. I know he wouldn't probably be able to fend for himself.

Real worried about the no poop/no wee, thinking either starved or internal damage.

No camera right now but maybe soon could get picture happening

Any advice and help greatly appreciated - my girl is prepared to do splints etc if necessary (well versed in home medicine/treatment).. I got some info from another thread on broken legs that could help.. is medical tape ok use? or electical/gaffer tape?

I would be worried about the feathers sticking..

Anything I should be doing to help stabilise him right now? I'll change the water now before bed but I don't think he'll do it himself. I might try to give him some more water with the dropper also.

Finally, I don't have a car so must travel by bus or tram to the hospital for an hour on public transport. Could be cold and either one can shake side to side (less on the bus but trams rock and sway).. I'm thinking the bus would be less traumatic for him.. as the cat cage he is in is quite big (one of my cats must be half maine **** - 9kg+) and I worry he might move around too much during transport. I prefer it bigger though so if he gets distressed he has room to stretch his wings and flap etc.

My mother has advanced stage IV lung/brain cancer and currently in hospital with dehydration and psychosis, don't know what it is yet but I am her carer and about 2 months back (before going into hospital again just now) I saw an injured bird on the side of the road, but could not stop as I needed to help my mother.. a sad choice that there are only so many hours in each day.

But this one, on my way home I HAD to save. I want him to live well. He is so beautiful. It was fate that I didn't get the tram I usually get, and had to walk a different way, and to find him at that precise time (was wondering why I was so late going to get dinner - everything has a purpose).

Awaiting your reply.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hello,

Thank you for rescuing him...whatever happens tomorrow, don't have him PTS if that is what is recommended for a broken leg (that happens so often) , because there are better options!

Is this a feral pigeon? Are you certain that it is an adult? (I ask because I thought that my first rescue pigeon squab was an ancient, ancient bird near the end of his life).

For the dehydration, best mix 1/2 pint warm water with 1/2 dessertsponn of glucose or honey or sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Put the warm mixture into a fairly deep container and dip his beak in it to show him where it is and to encourage him to drink. If he is starving, then he probably won't be strong enough to digest food, but the glucose in that mixture will help his immediate energy needs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh my girl thinks its a British Carrier Pigeon, around 5 years old probably - underweight. His septum or around there is cracked/damaged - I tried upon first seeing him to give him a mcdonalds chip piece, very small, near him, to see if he would smell or respond, but nothing, even though eyes open (he was in shock). So I think the damage there probably stopped him from eating.

He's calm at the moment and sleeping - is it better to let him rest, or should I be trying to give him water every hour or so? His feathers on back of neck have been standing up straight quickly today so he seems better, yesterday were staying down when found him. He is a strong trooper and I want the Professor to have a good life or be in comfort no matter what. He would have died within an hour of me seeing him without help because it was getting so cold (10pm at night). Also I think tram might be better to take him tomorrow, even though noisier etc and rocks more, it is generally slower and less stop/start (slower acceleration/deceleration), so it won't shift Professor around too much hopefully.. it does take longer, with a crossover to a 2nd tram.. so I'm thinking the bus is better since it is from my door direct to the animal hospital. Either way takes around 45 mins to 1:15mins roughly.. i dont have a hot water bottle :( extra padding for the journey??

Also all he has had to eat since 10pm yesterday (at least, probably days) has been around 30mls of baby formula (S26 gold) I got tonight, and a little milk mixed with bread crumbs (tiny amount only last night). I think the dehydration is more important but is it ok to just let him sleep tonight and feed in morning a little? I really dont know what I'm doing :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems an adult from size and definitely feral, no one really keeps pigeons here much openly :( most people consider a pest sadly :( so almost all are feral

Doesn't look very old, beautiful coat etc

Hoping not internal injuries :(

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your care and concern over this bird.

You have a wonderful spirit.

Please do not give milk as that is not good for pigeons at all. Continue the bird formula and continue to keep bird in a quiet place with subdued light and no drafts of air.

You can start him on bird seed and offer water if he is able and eating on his own. I do pray he will be okay too.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi and thanks for helping him.
I would suggest warm water with honey and pinch of salt for hydrating him.
Thawed peas and corn are good for hand feeding pigeons. Run them under the warm water until slightly warm and then open his beak and pop in his mouth one piece. Let him swallow and repeat procedure. 40~50 pieces per feeding twice a day will suffice.
Please do not feed milk, as birds cannot digest diary products.
Good luck and hope you have luck with the Vet. Do not let them put him down; if he made it so far, he’s chances are good for recovery.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice, fresh back from the vet hospital - it seems neurological, no breaks, so if I had put him in there under their care as feral wildlife, they would have PTS. So instead I waited 3.5 hours for a consultation, they were very nice and gave me some free food to feed and cheap consultation. So now I have a poor little Pigeon to look after - i'm glad he's still here not PTS!!!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
He is in loving hands.:)

You could try treating him with the herbal remedy Devils Claw. When I took a paralysed bird to a local sanctuary they said that the paralysis could have been caused by inflammation caused by trauma and that Devils Claw works as effectively as steroids (it didn't for me, but that's a different story!).

They rigged him up a cradle made out of a margerine tub and hung that within reach of food and water...the last time I heard about that bird he had improved enough to progress to the aviary.

Cynthia

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Hi lastninja,

Images?

Close-ups of injury to septum area?

Any poops? And if so, can you describe them?

Is he keeping his head 'up'?

Human-infant Electrolytes ( any Drug Store and most Grocery Stores) can be useful for rehydration...serve or offer at close to body temperature, or at least luke warm...gently guiding his Beak tip into it...see if he drinks, and, he likely will.

Rehydration can take 24 hours or more, assuming the patient is drinking...

Allow consecutive sessions of smallish amounts, rather than permitting too much at once if he is interested in drinking.

Over 24 hours, he can easily drink a small size Tea Cup worth.

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry no replies my mother died

I will get some photos soon - he has damaged/lost a bunch of wing/tail feathers from crawling around the cage I have for him.. he has been doing well for 6 months until now, posted another thread

1 - 10 of 10 Posts