Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Frederick, MD, and a healthy looking homing pigeon adopted my deck last month. I fed him cracked corn and canary seed, and he decided to stay. Now - 1 month later, I have moved to a new house that has a large, outside aviary that the previous owner used for peacocks. I was able to transport the bird in a cat carrier, and he is safely away from the hawks in my aviary. I called the previous owner listed on his band (from New York!) - the guy gave his pigeons away last year. Looks like the bird is now mine!

Now am in search of quality feed - seed or pellets. There seem to be no local sources. Is there a good on-line site where I can buy feed for my new pet? Not only do I have my pet homing pigeon, two "stray" racing whites are hanging around - they must have escaped from the previous owner of my new house.

I know nothing about these birds, but they are so beautiful I figured that I could at least feed them. Do they do ok alone, or should I try to buy more? Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
How sweet! They adopted you. You may want more or not, depending on what gender they are and how much room you have.

Thank you for caring for them.

A good quality pigeon seed mix is what pigeons require to meet their nutritional needs. You may be able to buy it locally at pet shop that carries pigeon supplies, or on line.

Do a google search and you may find someone locally. http://www.seedfactory.com/pigeon.html

Can you post a picture of the aviary. Pigeons have really few requirements, but they are very important. They need protection from predators, rain and drafts of air, but need good air circulation and some maintenance/prevention requirements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi-
I will check out seedfactory.com . My local feed shops and pet shops don't have pigeon feed or seed.
The aviaries on my property are impressive - I have Leonardo in one that is 12' x 20' and is about 8 feet tall. He looks dwarfed by it, but he has room to fly around. It is covered by wire, protected from predators, and has several posts for perches, about 5' off the ground. An 8' x 8' section has a roof and is walled in on 2 sides to provide protection from the rain and wind. It is not really total protection because wind can still get under the wall, and may not be adequate in winter. I will see if I can upload a picture.

The wild whites are hanging around one of my smaller aviaries, and I just keep the door open so they can come and go.

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Do not let any wild pigeons or birds mingle with your "pets" as this can bring disease inside the aviary.

It is a good idea to check the pigeon supply houses as they have everything specifically for pigeons.

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/

http://www.siegelpigeons.com/

Dry floors within the lofe is extremely important for health, no standing water-they need dry clean perches out of rain. However, pigeons love to bathe, so offer them a bath or sprinkler weekly. Drinking water should have a drop of organic apple cider vinegar in it to maintain a healthy gut ph and good gut bacteria once or twice a week. (A tablespoon or two to a gallon) Garlic supplement in water alternate days for health and prevention.

·
Registered
254 Posts
go to the national pigeon assn. site npausa.com there you can find info there is a pigeon supply house in conn. northeast pigeon supply toni patti owner and breeder of pigeons

1 - 5 of 5 Posts