Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I'm new to this sight so I'm sorry if I post this in the wrong place or anything. I recently found a hurt pigeon in my neighbors yard, he/she(?) was dragging his wing on the ground and was unable to fly at all. I was able to catch him (held a large butterfly net in front of him and he walked into it) and brought him inside to get him away from any animals that could kill him (my neighborhood has a lot of hawks, and my neighbors don't keep their dogs inside).

After checking out his wing, I found he has an old looking scabbed over injury on the last major joint of his wing. He has movement in the base of his wing, but the end of his wing seems broken, and drags when he walks. I cleaned the injury with Betadine (not sure how much good it did bc of the scab) and my mom did a figure 8 sling wrap on his wing with vet tape (during her old job she would have to put slings and splints on reptiles with injuries, so she has some knowledge on it) after that I checked him for mites (have a cockatiel and didn't want anything spreading) and set him up in my room in a large dog crate with towels on the bottom, mixed bird seed and veggies, water (with a little salt and sugar for electrolytes), and a heated blanket on the outside of one side of the cage. He's been eating, drinking, and pooping well, and he's got a good amount of energy and personality (had him for a night so far, last night he was sluggish and slow, today he's alert and fairly active, even jumped on my legs and let me pet him when I took him out to switch the towels out)

I checked for places to take him, but all the shelters near me said they would just euthanize him, and the rehabs I found didn't accept pigeons. I did find an animal hospital that treats injured wildlife for free, then sends them to a rehab center (emailed them as soon as I found out about them but no response yet) but I don't think he's a wild pigeon. I had thought, bc of his coloring, that he was just a regular feral rock pigeon, but he's a lot bigger than any feral rock pigeon I've seen, and when I was checking him for mites I saw his skin was light pink like a king pigeons, instead of darker brown like rock pigeons.

Plus my neighborhood doesn't have any pigeons, there are some in the shopping centers near by, but I can't recall a time when there's ever been a flock over my house. I think it's because there are a lot of hawks in this area, and there's really nowhere for them to build nests. However, my neighbors have bought live pigeons from squab markets to kill and eat though, so I'm thinking that he was an escapee from them, or thrown out by them for some reason.

Is it possible to have Rock/King crossbreeds? And is there any chance of him flying again if his wing heals up? What would a rehab center do to/for a pigeon without flight, and if he is a King crossbreed/from a squab market, would he be allowed to be released at all?

If the place I found doesn't reply or doesn't consider him wildlife, I'll take him to the vet for a more professional sling job, x-ray, exc. when I get paid in a few days (does anyone know if an emergency case can be paid for later, or if they have to be paid for upfront too?) Does anyone have any advice? (If he can't be released and his options are euthanasia or adoption I'd be completely willing to keep him and make him a more permanent enclosure in my house)

Also, I live in Southern California (sorry for the really long post, and thanks)

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Thank you for helping him! Could you please post a photo? Sounds like a wonderful bird. Our first pigeon was a feral with a broken wing who was nearly decapitated who we got fixed up by a vet because the local wildlife rehab just euthanizes pigeons. She was worth every penny. Whether the vet will take credit depends on the vet. Phoebe was the most loving and love able creature and a member of the family. I am glad you are thinking about adopting the pigeon. Pigeons are truly wonderful. We are up to six now. Welcome to Pigeon Talk. People here love pigeons and should be able to help with care questions.

·
Registered
553 Posts
So nice of you to save him/her! thank you! I think his chances of flying depend on the type of injury. My pet pigeon also had a broken wing when I found her on the street, but because her injury was so bad (her elbow was broken in tiny pieces) there was no way for it to be fixed. The vet said she wouldn't be able to fly anymore so I adopted her :) She also had a really bad infection, which was treated with antibiotics, so it is important to get medical help! maybe you can find a pigeon rehabber in your area and adopt the bird when he has healed?

If you decide to take him to the vet make sure you say that the bird is YOUR pet (have a name ready) otherwise they might not see him or will just euthanize him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you cwebster and JennyM! Didn't have much luck with the vet who treats wildlife, because they only euthanize pigeons :( but they did say if I wanted to care for him to give him some antibiotics to prevent/treat infection and keep his wing wrapped (he's not enjoying the antibiotics, wing slaps me when I try to take him out of the cage to give them to him, I feel bad for stressing the poor guy out) Found an animal rehab online that says they treat all animals, so I sent them an email. I'll call them on Monday if I don't get a reply and see what they'll say! I'm hoping his wing can be fixed and he can be released, bc he seems to miss other birds :( my mom was looking at pigeon videos for some info on them, and when he heard the pigeons cooing in the vid he responded to them. I'll try to get a picture up soon! Been having computer problems and it's not wanting to let the picture load sigh. Thank you for the advice! :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
where in SoCal are you? maybe there is a rehabber near your area. If he can't fly anymore what are you planning on doing?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I think it's probably too late to wrap that wing by now. When you first posted on Dec 1st, you said you had found him recently. Tomorrow will be 4 days since, and I don't know when you found the bird, but their bones heal very quickly. So it is probably half set, and if dragging on the ground, not going to be usable.

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Maybe T.A.Whatley is near you. She helps rescue pigeons. Where in Southern CA do you live? We live on the Central Coast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in Anaheim, about 15-20 minuets away from Disneyland! I found a rehab in Long Beach that I emailed yesterday, and I'm still searching for more that'll take pigeons. It really sucks so many don't bother trying to help pigeons :(
Does anyone know any rehabs that'll help pigeons around Anaheim area?

If he can't fly any more I'd be happy to permanently care for him, and if I do end up caring for him but he doesn't acclimate well to being a house pigeon I'll try searching for someone with an aviary who'd be willing to take him in.

I found him the day before posting on here, and my mom (has experience caring for injured animals) cleaned and wrapped his wing about 45 minuets after I found him. I'm not sure how long his wing had been broken before I found him though, because he had a pretty big scab on the cut where the break is.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The rehabber that cwebster mentioned lives in Lake Forest, is that too far from you? she is very nice though! very caring person and Im sure she will do the best she can to help your bird.

If he can't fly maybe you can adopt him? rehabbers take in a lot of birds and have their aviaries pretty full.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No that's actually pretty close! Is she on Pigeon-Talk, and if so would it be possible for me to contact her on here? Or does she have a website?

And I could definitely adopt him if he's unreleasable! Would he be able to get used to being a house pigeon after being feral?

·
Registered
553 Posts
No that's actually pretty close! Is she on Pigeon-Talk, and if so would it be possible for me to contact her on here? Or does she have a website?

And I could definitely adopt him if he's unreleasable! Would he be able to get used to being a house pigeon after being feral?
Yay, Im glad you can adopt him if he can't be released! :) They adapt quickly! and if he's not releasable the best thing is to keep as a pet anyway :) He will be a little wild at first; not wanting you to get close to him, etc, but with time and patience that can change.

Yes, TAWathey is a member of this forum but I think she no longer comes around here. I will PM you her number!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts