Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I found an IF banded pigeon today in Salem, MA. I have contacted the lost/found coordinator on IF website and am waiting to hear back. The band is not in the same format as the examples I have seen. It reads "IF 2014 0865
RI"

I can not keep her since I have parrots and cats in my condo! She is in a cat carrier which I cleaned out with a vinegar solution lined with newspaper in my back hallway.

She can not fly, was limping across the street and could not take off. Her right wing appears broken or at least very injured (dropping forward at the top shoulder area). She is in beautiful feather, but looks like some primaries have been cut on the right wing as well?

Her keel bone is a bit pronounced, and she gobbled down the seed I offered her (I only had parakeet seed on hand, from Volkmans) and she drank water as well.

I do not have a steady heat source to provide unless I'm going to keep getting up all night to warm something, but she does not appear cold or dehydrated and is otherwise alert and in good health.

Any other care advice or contact information for an owner? I was going to take her to the MSPCA tomorrow here they have two certified avian vets so she can get treatment, and be placed up for adoption if the owner is not located. I do not want her to be in pain longer than necessary while locating an owner.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a photo of the bird. I had posted her on 911parrot alert as found and also on MA and RI craigslist asking any claimers to give me her band ID to prove ownership, but no one has stepped forward so far.

Thanks for the PM, CBL I sent a reply. She has to go somewhere today for medical treatment, I'll wind up paying for it myself if I have to as I am an avid bird lover and actually train parrots, but am hoping the MSPCA will take care of it and put her for adoption at their farm location where they have lots of pet pigeons and fancy doves.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.