Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in northwest Indiana, and today there was a mourning dove that is obviously injured. Since I own two beagle pups I found a box and lined it with some towels and have put the bird into it. It seems to be VERY swollen right under its beak with quite a lump, other than that I see no other injuries than most the claws seem to be missing. I'm trying frantically to find somewhere in my area to take the little guy, can anyone possibly help me! I'm also not sure what to do for the poor little fellow!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I hope that one of our US memebrs will be able to point you in the right direction soon..in the meantime if it feels cold it is important to warm it up on a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel (so it is warm but not hot) or on a heat pad set low, or under a 40 watt angled lamp for about an hour.

After the dove has been warmed (that will take about an hour on a heat pad) mix 1 pint warm water with 1/2 tablespoon of glucose, or honey or sugar and half a teaspoon of salt. Dip the bird's beak in the warm water to encourage it to drink, you can also dribble it at the edge of the beak, but don't try squirting the water into the birds mouth as it might aspirate it and die or develop pneumonia.

Do not try to feed the bird yet. It might not be well enough to digest the food, which could kill it. The glucose/honey/sugar will provide the energy it needs for the time being.

You should also check the inside of its mouth which should be clean and pink. Cheesy growths in the mouth could indicate canker.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Thanks for caring and saving the Dove !

Are there any external injuries such as blood, scrapes, lesions, scabs ?

Here are some facilities in SW Illinois...Matilda's List had nothing in Indiana....

Illinois -Avian Vets

Niles Animal Hospital and Bird Medical Center
Dr. Peter Sakas
7278 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Niles, IL 60714
Phone: 847-647-9325
Fax: 847-647-8498
[email protected]

Exam for a pigeon or dove is $53.50. The Dr. does extensive work for wildlife rehabbers and may refer you to a rehabber unless the pigeon you want him to examine is your pet.

Illinois (Rehabbers)

Chicago Bird Collision Monitors
(773) 988-1867
http://www.birdmonitors.net/intro.html
This group can make a referral to a pigeon safe rehabber

Flint Creek Wildlife
Downtown Chicago
(847) 602-0628
http://www.flintcreekwildlife.org
Pigeon friendly

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Definitely sounds like canker (not "cancer"). That's a serious inflammatory condition where the localized immune response within the beak, throat and upper GI tract (usually) is so severe that tissue damage occurs on a massive scale. This is usually due to a particular family of single-celled organisms called "trichomonads" and the correct name of the disease process is called "trichomoniasis".

Generally, the medication used is an anti-protozoal of the Nitroimidazole family like Metronidazole (Flagyl), Carnidazole, Secnidazole, Dimetridazole (Emtryl) or Ronidazole (to name a few). You can sometimes find "FishZole" that is essentially Flagyl (usually a 250 milligram tablet) if you go to the right aquarium supply house. Dimetridazole has to be dosed VERY carefully because it's not very forgiving, but it's used for hogs and is fairly easy to come by at some feedstores that carry lots of different veterinary supplies.

Pidgey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts