Pigeon-Talk banner

Found injured mourning pigeon and caught it. What do I do now?

901 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  cwebster 
#1 ·
West Los Angeles, CA
United States

Hi, I found an injured mourning pigeon. He can't fly. He tries to fly and is able to get a few feet up in the air, only to fall back down without avail. He seems pretty healthy and a little young, although I'm no expert. I was able to catch him and put in one of my dog's crates for the night with water, but I'm not sure what else to do.

He's grey, doesn't look malnourished, and has all his feathers. But I need to find a rescue to help him rehabilitate so that he can be released into the wild again. Any good rescues/rehabilitation centers you can recommend for me to call for help? :confused:

#4 · (Edited)
Is it a pigeon or a morning dove? The parents may have been caring for him and he may just be out of the nest and learning to fly. If the area was pretty safe then he may be better off left there to be cared for and raised by the parents. Often when we interfere, we just make things worse. In another couple of days, he may be flying just fine, and it is always much better if they are raised by the parents.

#5 ·
Thanks Jay. It's a morning dove. I looked for a nest this morning, but I don't see one. My apt building has a lot of dogs and cats walking around, and I was particularly worried when I saw him on top of the metal mailboxes at night (and the fact that it was cold).

I'm going to keep looking to see if there's a rest, but I haven't seen one. =(

#6 ·
They would not be in the nest now. They come out of the nest, and they practice flying while the parents keep feeding them. He should have a nest mate around somewhere, as there are normally 2 of them, and they hang out together. There must be mourning doves around.

#7 ·
I don't see a second bird, but I do hear birds outside, so I think they're looking for him.

I also spoke to two wild life orgs and sent them pictures. I'm going to try to place him near the tree and wait and see if they come for him.

Thank you for advice. I hope they find him. I'll be watching near by. =)

#8 ·
Yes, please do keep a watch on him if there are other animals around. If you don't see the parents come back then you may need to take him. They may not be able to find him now, so he should be somewhere near where he was found. If very unsafe there, you won't be able to leave him there.

#9 ·
!!!

Hi,
I actually found a ringneck dove in the same situation your mourning dove seems to be in right now. It is best if you go to Petco or a local pet store and buy a (large) cage, because if the bird is domesticated (as mine turned out to be) they will feel much more comfortable in a cage.
I would also take the bird to the veterinarian ASAP.
Also get some seeds and water for the bird! They DO NOT eat bread.
Try talking to it in soothing tones and putting it in a shoebox with a blanket (for now).

good luck!

#10 ·
Hi,
I actually found a ringneck dove in the same situation your mourning dove seems to be in right now. It is best if you go to Petco or a local pet store and buy a (large) cage, because if the bird is domesticated (as mine turned out to be) they will feel much more comfortable in a cage.
I would also take the bird to the veterinarian ASAP.
Also get some seeds and water for the bird! They DO NOT eat bread.
Try talking to it in soothing tones and putting it in a shoebox with a blanket (for now).

good luck!
A mourning dove is not a domestic bird. And actually, you shouldn't even have them. They are native wild birds. He probably isn't sick, just new out of the nest.

#11 ·
Hi there, just wanted to give you the good news. I put him outside and he was having trouble at first flying. Then out of no where, he flew straight into tree and was totally fine. Then he flew off again and I lost view of him. But I'm happy he did just fine. I was really concerned last night when I found him because he was within human and predator reach. Thank you for responses and help. I never would have learned about this awesome community if I hadn't found him.

#12 ·
Thanks for the update. That's wonderful! You may have saved him by bringing him in for the night and giving him back to his parents today. You did a very good thing. Thank you for caring.

The more you learn, the better you will be able to assess when a bird needs help, or just a little nudge. In this case, a little nudge was needed. There are many babies around now, and trying to figure it out can be difficult. Thanks for helping him. Nice to have met you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.