Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a pigeon a few hours ago that looked as though something had gotten a hold of it. It has a small injury to the side of its face and a leg that isn't very stable. I have put it in a doggy crate with water and food, covered it with a blanket and now have a small heating pad under the cage. I do believe I saw it eating a bit of bird seed. Anymore advice? It is only 40 degrees here right now...

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Can you tell us where you are?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
injured pigeon

I am in Schenectady ny. The bird is alert enough to notice me when i check on it. It has moved around a bit.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I will have to wait for a US member to advise you about veterinary resources...but do you have any antibiotics in the house? If he was cat caught or dog caught infection can take hold very quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My husband and I were able to get some amox. into the birds mouth with a dropper we found here. We will do it again in the am if he is okay. Thanks for being helpful and trying to help me. I'll try to keep you informed.

Pauline

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
You can take a look at this page and study the skeletal drawings to help you figure out the applicable anatomy:

http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/skeleton.html

You can try comparing one leg to the other if they seem different. Generally when a pigeon gets a broken leg, they will stay down (not wanting to stand up) for a few days if at all possible. So, if you can just keep her in a towel or batch of rags made in such a way as to produce a cradle in the middle, she can be pretty comfortable like that while we assess what else might be wrong. It's possible that a broken leg can mend surprisingly well if the bird has a comfortable place to stay put for as long as it takes (usually about a week and a half).

It's also fairly easy to use wide masking tape to make a very good splint. I'll repost one from some time ago:

Those can be tricky to find, sometimes, but essentially you're looking to make sure each bone segment is solid from end to end. A broken tarsometatarsus is easy to see, so you'd probably be more worried about a broken tibiotarsus that's up in the feathers or maybe too near the joint of the tibiotarsus to the tarsometatarsus and it's fooling you.

In any case, you can roll up a towel into a donut that the bird can settle into the middle of in such a way as to take any pressure off of the leg easily. Sometimes, you can bring them in the house and treat them like the Queen of Sheba with food and water right in front of them and they'll behave pretty well. About the only thing they'll stand up to do is poop and if you dutifully keep that cleaned up and then gently put them back down, they can learn to take it real easy and heal up just like that.

Otherwise, you sometimes have to clip the feathers of the leg closely with scissors and use masking tape to immobilize the leg as shown here:

...and it might come out looking like this:

The break on this bird was high enough on the tibiotarsus that I extended the tape up and over the back to help it immobilize it--otherwise, following the drawings above wouldn't have gone high enough to actually do the job. I clipped all the feathers short where the tape went, too.

Pidgey

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Thats wonderful information Pidgey and I took a print of it as well for my own information just in case I might need it someday. I am so glad the people from New York taking care of this pigeon seem to be very competent and know to keep it warm and hydrated and fed at least until more help arrives. This pigeon talk is a wonderful resource for these kinds of problems and it makes me feel proud that there are people out there that really have a heart to care about the well being of a pigeon..Everybody on this thread is contributing with their personal no how to help the pigeon as well as the finder---makes me proud to be part of this ---"tree hugging program"--thank you everyone for letting me feel good about things on this cold night and its about 40 degrees here too and windy---piggy is warm---thank our good spirits...good luck everyone in your endeavors to save this one small piggy....c.hert

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
My husband and I were able to get some amox. into the birds mouth with a dropper we found here. We will do it again in the am if he is okay. Thanks for being helpful and trying to help me. I'll try to keep you informed.

Pauline
Thanks for helping the pigeon ! Did you read the thread here 'basic steps for saving...." ? Good info on supportive care.

Also, any of these places near where you live ? :

http://pij-n-angels.forumotion.net/pigeon-resources-f8/matilda-s-list-united-states-l-n-t223.htm

Just curious....how did you determine dosage ????

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Thanks for coming to the rescue yet again Pidgey!

Just curious....how did you determine dosage ????
I told the dose for a pigeon on the day it was found . This forum has little formulary drawn up by our moderator Nooti which contains the dosage for Synulox which is 80% amoxycillin and 20% clavunate, so the dose for amoxycillin can be worked out from there if anyone needs it (4/5 of the synulox dose).

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=15947&referrerid=560

1 - 11 of 11 Posts