Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this afternoon while walking dogs in Boston I came across a pigeon who is missing almost all its feathers on its head/neck. It could be a fledgeling (sp?) but it also has some blood on it and appears to be full grown. It does not have any bands. It was also not acting "normal" meaning it was letting me get close to it without hardly any reaction and it kept hiding under a bush. When I was attempting to catch him he was running away instead of flying and he did attempt to fly but could only get about 1ft off the ground. I was able to catch him with a box and currently have him setup in a cat carrier with paper towels, water, and wild bird seed. He seemed pretty happy when I gave him food.

So my issues is that I've called several wildlife rescuers and all are full or do not accept pigeons. I work in Brighton...live in Salem and am traveling to the cape tomorrow for the weekend. He is coming with us to the cape and I have a few rescuers to call down there as well but so far Ive called about 10 people and everyone has said no.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to help this little guy?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It's a baby you can tell by his beak and hasn't got proper flight feathers yet either. Other birds often attack the head so it could have suffered that way and probably needs antibiotics, which it would definitely need if it were a cat attack due to their harmful bacteria which easily kills pigeons. First thing to do is give it warmth, so a box near a radiator but not up against it will help plus rehydration fluid. You make this with a cup of warm water, a level teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of sugar. Dip the beak in a bowl of the liquid but don't allow the nostrils to enter, often the bird will drink due to being slightly dehydrated and traumatised - if it doesn't then you can syringe drops of water along the side of its beak. Don't open the mouth and syring water in because it can enter the airway and very easily aspirate the bird. There's a link on here somewhere and I'm sure someone will post it later but for now this should help. If you're on Facebook there's a Pigeon Rescue and Protection UK group that can offer advice too.
Good luck with this little guy and thank you for helping him. Pigeons really are lovely birds and quite intelligent too.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's a youngster for sure. The lack of feathering under the chin suggests that he could have canker also. That could be the problem with all the head feathers. He doesn't really look attacked by other pigeons, and if a cat or something had gotten him, he wouldn't have gotten away. How far were you from the pigeon flocks in Boston when you found him? His parents may have been near by and feeding him. He will need hand feeding until you can get him weaned, and starting with the defrosted and warmed peas is better than starting with seed, as they do contain some moisture, and the seed doesn't. He needs to know how to drink before he is weaned onto seed. It's pretty warm here anyway, so he probably doesn't need supplemental heat, but if he does seem cold, then I would use a heating pad, set on LOW only, and layer of towel over it, like hand towel. I would definitely start him on Metronidazole for canker. That can be common when any pigeon is going through a stressful situation.

Where down the cape are you going? There is a place down there, and I can try to find there info.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I think this is it, but not sure. They are in Eastham. If not them, then maybe they could steer you in the right direction.

If you find an animal in
distress, please call us at:
508-240-2255
Our helpline and our facility
are open EVERY DAY from
9:00am-5:00pm.
We are located at the
Eastham rotary.
http://www.wildcarecapecod.org/

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
***I would definitely start him on Metronidazole for canker. That can be common when any pigeon is going through a stressful situation.
***My first thought when I saw the picture. Parents may have abandoned the youngster.

The youngster definitely needs some intervention. Please do check out the link on caring for baby pigeons, he may not be weaned and needs help now.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I am in Mass, so if you need the canker meds, I can send them to you if you PM me your name and address.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts