Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found an injured pigeon last night (9/26/2020) in Concord, CA. S/He looks like s/he got attacked by maybe a cat? S/He has a green band on. We caught her/him and have kept her/him safe all night but I don't know what to do next. I'm hoping to find somewhere we can drop her/him off. (We have cats and a dog, so we may not have the best healing environment. Also, I'd like to get this bird home, but I don't know if s/he okay enough to fly home.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Hi! Thank you for helping her. If she was attacked by a cat, sjphe will need amoxicillin asap. Is she eating and drinking? If you are in Concord you might contact Palomacy and see if they can help. Is there any identifying info on the band?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok, we have moved the pigeon into a bigger cage, since s/he seems to be alright this morning. I just put in some water and corn and I'm keeping an eye on him/her. There's a small injury on the neck and on the wing, but everything has clotting alright. (We had a chicken get attacked a few years who turned out completely fine and she was in much worse condition than this pigeon.) My mom is currently calling Palomacy, I think, to get information on local pigeon people who might have lost a pigeon now that we have the band info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, we have talked to someone from Palomacy. We are going to take him/her to be looked at, and to get some meds. And it looks like we will be fostering a pigeon until s/he gets better.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Very kind of you to help the poor bird! Thank you.
There are sites where you can search for tge owner. A lot of people dont want injured birds back. The bird will do best if you foster him and adopt him or find him i home i think.
We adopted an injured pigeon and that was the best decision we ever made.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Injured pigeon - advice please

The injured pigeon we found on our car roof is getting stronger and growing new feathers on her wing and upper back. As she improves she is getting more adventurous. She tries to peck me and makes little noises when I pick her up. I would like to know whether a wooden rabbit hutch will provide enough shelter for her so I can move her outside. Currently she is in a box lined with polystyrene covered with layers newspaper and then several layers of kitchen paper. The box is in my greenhouse and as autumn landed with a crash 2 days ago it's pretty cold at night; not too bad through the day temperature-wise. Until now I've kept the greenhouse door open through the day but am aware she may manage to fly out as she gets stronger. The injuries on her back and side are still raw looking and feather-less and I'm not sure she would survive outside at the moment. She is learning to balance on her one good leg. Any ideas / advice please?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.