Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a pigeon in the street Saturday, 2-13. I found him/her (I'll say her) in the street and had to waive cars around so she wouldn't be hit. We brought the pigeon up to our loft and created makeshift living quarters on our balcony. We've been feeding her mixed grains/bird feed and water. She isn't eating much and the only time I've seen her drink is when I've used a plastic syringe. I've been keeping the poo cleaned out while wearing gloves. I can't see any obvious injuries and she can walk around ok but cant fly. I noticed last night the left eye beginning to close. Today, the left is is completely shut. I put saline on the eye and I was going to use the tea bag idea. I am concerned that it could be something that could transmit to humans. I read about Psittacosis and it made me seriously concerned.

I called a couple of bird hospitals but they said we would have to bring the bird in and sign her over. They may put it down or they may rehab her. Who knows what will really happen.

Advice on the eye and where to take her would be appreciated. Does anyone ever keep the injured birds themselves and nurse them back to health? It would be great to see her fly away healthy someday soon.

BTW- I live in the Dallas, TX area.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you take her to a vet that will see pigeons? Don't say you found her. If you say that she is your pet bird, some will see her that otherwise wouldn't. And don't sign her over or leave her anywhere. Take her back home with you, as many places will euthanize a pigeon. You should be able to find out what is wrong and get medicine for her. And yes, many have been helped back to good health by different members and been able to be released.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
These people might be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation, Inc.
P.O. Box 369
Kendalia, TX 78027
Phone: (830) 336-2725
Fax: (830) 336-3733

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Hi P. John,

As long as you are being careful about your hygiene after handling the pigeon, there should be little to worry about as far as you catching something from the bird.

The saline wash for the eye was a good thing to do. The bird probably does need some type of medication, and it's just about impossible for us to try and guess what's going on and come up with the right treatment.

Here's another wildlife center that may be able to help you: Rogers Wildlife

Please keep us posted, and thank you so much for assisting the bird.

Terry

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, Terry is right. As long as you use good hygiene and wash your hands after handling, as you should do with any animal, you'll be fine. But it could be anything, and we couldn't possibly diagnose. Only a vet can do that. Sorry. Please let us know what you find out. It's good of you to help her.

·
Registered
670 Posts
When I see conjunctivitis in birds, I think of either chlamydia or mycoplasma. Most people treat this with doxycycline; I have had negative experiences with the oral form, so when I use it, I give the injectable, which you'd need to get from a vet. Alternatively, one could treat orally with another tetracycline.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice! I'm trying colloidal silver today and I'll update soon. Thanks again.;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've applied the Colloidal Silver twice today. Using a Q-tip and seems to be helping already.

Another Concern: She seems to have all faculties but won't/can't fly. I do not see obvious wounds or breaks in a wing. Both wings look healthy. What would prevent a Pij from flying other than a bad wing(s)?

I read that they are very intelligent, so would that keep them around a situation in which they are pampered? Do they know they're being pampered? I know if I were being waited on with food, water, warmth, medicine, etc. I probably wouldn't be running off/flying away too quickly. :rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Glad the Colloidal Silver is helping. Lots of things can prevent them from flying. Maybe with the eye problem she couldn't see well enough to fly. If a bird is starving and weak it won't fly. Canker can also cause it not to fly. So many different illnesses and things could have that effect. She could be ill in some other way. And yes, I believe this bird knows that you are helping her. Sometimes they do stay around where they have been helped. Then there are birds that go out to live their life, and if something else happens to them they sometimes return to where they know they are safe. Pigeons are amazingly intelligent. And addictive! You'll see!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Still having issues with flight. She has tried to flap her wings several times but isn't going anywhere. Again, I cannot see any visible damage or injuries. The left eye is still pretty bad looking. I have been applying colloidal silver three times daily. The eye looks better for sure, but still has an obvious problem. Also, I have not seen her drink once from the water bowl. We have been feeding water manually through a plastic syringe which she seems to like. I do see her eating the grain and bread crumbs. I've been keeping her living quarters very clean and have made somewhat of a nest. I placed a cardboard small "garage" in her living quarters and she loves staying in there for long periods. It seems weird to me. I have a feeling that every time I get close to her she assumes, uh-oh it's time for this guy to put that stuff in my eye - which is very annoying! (referring to colloidal silver), thus she basically runs into it when I get close. However, when I start the water drops from syringe she sticks around. Is she thinking, "ok, ok....I thought this was the colloidal silver session- but it's water so I'll stay and drink".

These are interesting characters for sure. I never knew I'd be taking care of a bird. I've had cats/dogs but never a bird! This has opened my interests up in terms of what animals I would have as pets.

I would appreciate more advice from you all on the above items!

Thanks in advance and thanks for the previous responses.

Godspeed

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Pigeons flap their wings for exercise. Not just when they want to fly. How much water are you getting into her? You haven't gotten her to a vet, or brought her poop in to be checked, which would be a good idea. You're treating her eye, but since you don't know what is causing it, or if there are other issues going on, she could be sick and need meds. Something caused the eye problem to begin with, and you need to find out what. If she is sick, and isn't treated, then you could be doing all this for nothing. Have you not tried Rogers Wildlife that Terry told you about?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I think she hit something and the underlying muscles and nerves are very sore and will take time to heal and she will flap her wings abit for exercise...I would just wash her eye gentle with a warm cloth of saline and dab the debree away and not use the collidaol silver right now and see if this improves somewhat. I would try dipping her beak in a water container that you expect her to drink from and see if she doesn't suck it up..These wild birds are very sneaky and will not let you see them eat or drink at first --later as they used to the program you can catch them eating and drinking---I would put mixed pigeon seed down and some grit and water and leave the bird rest and eat on its own----if not take it to the vet----sometimes if a bird hurts its mouth or tongue they will not fly until it feels better...I think the bird needs food and rest and water and a nice warm eye dab and a safe place and time and it should be okay---my opinion---c.herts Late arriving on this post and I have read the other suggestions---use your judgement here....c.hert Healing muscles and nerves 3-6 weeks depends...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To Jay:

I called Rogers Wildlife earlier and they said they would take a look at her. They cannot prescribe meds as they are not a vet but would refer me to a Vet. The girl I spoke w/ said if she (pigeon) had an old break and it didn't heal right they would most likely euthanize her. But, from what I can see/tell, the wings hang perfectly and do not look at all like there's a problem. I am more than happy to take her in I just don't want them to put her down if there was a chance she could live and become healthy again.

Before I take her in, I'd like to call/explore another route.

Would pics help you guys determine what's going on? I would be happy to post a few.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Take her somewhere that you don't have to leave her or sign her over to. Tell them it is your pet. That you want her checked and want to know if she needs an antibiotic or something. Something caused the eye problem. You can't just assume that she hit something and is sore. You really need to know for sure what is going on with her. Otherwise, how can you help her? While you are spending all this time trying to help, she could have something which is progressing. Let them refer you to a vet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To Jay:

I'll have Rogers check her out. I do not have to sign her over which is good. If they say "she'll be better off if we put her down rather than live in pain or with a terrible struggle"....what do we do then?

p.s. I'll ask advice on meds of course and contact the vet they recommend.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Don't just take their word for it. We have seen people go to rehabbers with a bird who had as simple a thing as canker, which is VERY treatable, and they euthanised the bird. Find out what they think she has, bring her home, and come back in and tell us. PLEASE! Or have an avian vet check her that knows pigeons. Don't let anyone put the bird down. There are lots of "rehabbers" out there that don't know squat about birds or pigeons. Trust me please. Most things ARE curable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I called a vet this morn but cant get in until next week. I'd like help sooner than that. Can anyone connected to this board diagnose? More importantly, are they close to me - Dallas, TX? From research, the left eye looks just like Conjunctivitis. I know I can buy that OTC.

Something else I've noticed.....The Pigeon doesn't coo, at all. She made a couple of noises this morning when I went to check on her but nothing like the typical noise associated with Pigeons. That's the first noise whatsoever I've heard since this past Saturday.

A local member/vet on this board would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
P. John, thanks for trying to help this little one out.

After reading the position you are in the thought occurred to me that OTC you could but this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754380 . The downside is because it is OTC the concentration of pure medicine (sulfadimethoxine, trade name Albon) in the bottle is not very high, 15mg/oz, but the upside is many pet stores have it on their self. The recommended dosage for pigeons is 25mg/kg, twice a day. This means for a 300 gram bird you would have to see that the bird drinks, or you give supplemental by syringe, 1oz (approx. 30cc, 2 tablespoons) total a day. Normal water intake for a pigeon varies on many things, such as weather, exercise to name a few, but around 15-20cc would be a common amount, so depending on how well she is self watering, you will most likely have to supplement some.

The medicine in the Marvel Aid, sulfadimethoxine, is quite a good medicine and it will treat for both streptococcus, staphylococcus infections which are bacteria that can cause conjunctivitis, as well as for other infections common in sick pigeons, such as coccidiosis.

Here is a little more info on sulfadimethoxine, although it refers to cats and dogs, the same of offending bacteria are causes of illness in pigeons.

http://www.pfizerah.com/PAHimages/compliance_pdfs/US_EN_AO_compliance.pdf

Some others might have better ideas for you, but this is what came to my mind right now.

Here are a couple of other OTC meds that will help if you can not find the Marvel Aid:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4833 this sulfa will have a higher concentration of pure meds.

and:

http://mayerspet.com/shoponline/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=76

What would be ideal is if you could find either of the first two meds, both are sulfas and the last one as well, as the last one will treat for chlamydia or mycoplasma, as Jenfer mentioned in an earlier post also cause conjunctivitis, and the two meds can be combined.

I hope this helps and good luck with him,

Karyn

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Karyn:

I really appreciate your advice. I picked up some Marvel Aid and I've given her recommended dose. I called a 24 hr bird hospital a few minutes ago. They said it's $102 to look at her plus any meds. Is this normal? I feel like she needs meds asap. I will continue to give her marvel aid twice daily and colloidal silver. I would presume the tight knit community on this board would surely know a vet in my area-Dallas, tx that would help! Her eye is not looking good. I can post pics if it will help.

Quick and informative replies will be great!

Thanks to all....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts