Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend was out walking today and came across an injured bird on the sidewalk. We went back and brought it home, and upon closer examination turns out to be a pigeon.

When I approached it to pick it up, it did not seem afraid or try to run away, so I got a towel, tossed it over the bird, and gently picked it up. It did try to get away, but not very strongly after I had ahold of it.

It seems to have 2 problems. First, it's left wing has what appears to be a hole in it, aka feathers missing, and it is at a strange angle. When it tries to fly, that wing does not flap properly. I am assuming it was attacked or hit somehow. There does not appear to be any blood I can see, nor does it seem to have bone protruding obviously.

Second, it is only standing on it's left foot, while it's right one is tucked up. I tried to move it and look at it, but he does not seem to like that very much. Perhaps it is broken also??

Anyway, for the time being I put him in a box with a towel and am keeping him warm (per the excellent instructions on this site) and I offered water in a bowl (has not had any yet). I don't have the funds to pay to take him to a vet, and I most definitey do not want to see him be killed if I do take him somewhere so I've decided to try and help him as best I can.

I read that you can move the wing back to the normal position and bandage it in place. Should I attempt this? If so, exactlly how should I wrap it and should I wrap BOTH wings so he cannot try to fly at all? Any advice would be appreciated!!

BTW- I am located in Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hi Kenneth. Thanks for posting your location. It makes it so much easier to find a resource when we know where one is located.
Thank you for picking the Pigeon up rather than leaving it to become a victim of predators. Here's a rehabber for you.
If you are willing to keep the bird during recovery, perhaps Jody can wrap the wing and check the Pigeon out. Probably she will take it if you'd rather that.

Fallen Feathers
Jody Kieran
Peoria, Arizona
623-533-2348
www.fallenfeathers.org

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Hi Kenneth,
Many thanks for rescuing this little one.

Charis has given you an excellent resource.
Jody is a great gal. :)
If at all possible you might want to give her a call tonight.

Please keep us posted on how things are coming along.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Kenneth..........Thanks so much for caring and taking in this injured bird.

Please contact Jody ASAP as she can make a proper evaluation of the bird. I am concerned about your stating that the bird has a hole in its wing. There could be a possibility that the bird was attacked by a cat, that caught it's leg and wing and the bird luckly excaped. If a cat attack is the case it is imperative that the bird be put on antibotics immediately as cats have a substance in their siliva that is toxic to pigeons, and the bird could possibly die within 24/48 hours.

Time is of the essence, so please contact Jody as soon as possible. I'm sure she will know what to do and has the medicines available that the bird will require.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Let us know what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts