Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a injured pigeon in my garden. Tried to fly away but landed on its face and didn’t move. Waited half a hour to see if he needed intervention. Decided he did. Let me pick him pretty easily. Put it in a cage after inspecting it for injuries. Seems to be fine except for foot.
I put some dove food in there that I had lying around from a couple months ago when found a injured dove. Dove died from injuries (attacked by a cat). Hope to not repeat with this bird.

Hoping to find out if foot is sprained or broken. If broken I would appreciate tips on avoiding infection.
he is not walking. If i have to put the food and water closer tell me.
I currently have filtered water in there.
If i need to make a electrolyte solution, tell me.
Dont know what gender it is yet.
If pigeons cant eat dove food please warn me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: moved him to different room because its quieter. If noise should be taken more or less seriously, please tell me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update: moved around the cage a little bit, started leaning on food and water, then went back to towel. Doesnt seem to be eating or drinking. Is there anything I can do to make it more comfortable? I am afraid it will die if it does not eat/drink.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone here able to identify the fracture? I want to splint what I am supposed to before it starts to heal.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Someone more experienced will be able to help you more than I can, but will the pigeon allow you to assist feeding by putting a seed in the beak? Defrosted green peas are also easy to feed. Also you could try placing the water right next to the beak and gently dipping in (not past the nostrils) .... I’m not sure about the foot but someone should be able to help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check for grip. The bird wasnt eating or drinking I think because of shock, after moving pigeon to smaller area, and putting heat lamp near, he started to be more active. Put some water in there but still wouldnt drink. Gently put his beak in water and now he is drinking alot of water. I am happy he is drinking. I will attempt to feed in awhile. I will check for grip in toes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also pigeon just pooped and it is very ununiform. It is apparent the pigeon is dehydrated. Will post picture soon.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes pictures of the poop will also help, lots can be told by that. Can you check inside the mouth and neck for a yellow or white growth? Perhaps with a flashlight if you need. So happy you’re able to help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can you elaborate on grip? If you are implying grasping on to fingers when i place them there, he doesnt even try. I am begining to think both his feet are broken or his femur is broken, because when he tried to get away when i inspect him he flaps his wings and then falls over and doesnt even to try to get away out of pain. will check for white or yellow growth, that is something I fear. sorry for lack of detail on poop image. the poop itself is pretty small. mostly white, slightly yellow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked for mouth, was only able to get it open for a couple of seconds and it was pretty pink except on tip of tounge was a little yellow. Want to be sure though, do you reccommend a easy way to open the mouth, or does the pigeon normally wiggle his head to try to close it again?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
still wont eat. will try to mix a slurry and syringe it to his mouth. will try to splint the leg tonight. If someone could identify fracture that would help, ALOT. thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update, pooped again, black sludge. still wont eat. re examined feet, the toes seem fine, its looking to be a leg injury. will try leg splint.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got the poop on white towel, washed it in the sink, very very happy i didnt see any signs of red. poop is just really dark green.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Where are you located? There might be someone in your area with more experience. If you're worried about him being dehydrated, don't worry about feeding him right now. Just let him adjust and drink some water. We can't identify the fracture from a photo, and I wouldn't try palpating and splinting if you don't know what you're doing, especially without pain meds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
okay. im not messing with his legs until the injury can be identified. he seems to be in pain. I managed to feed him about 3 peas. after that i gave up. just want to make sure he doesnt starve. he is drinking water. I hope he will last the night. I am in tulare county, CA. Awhile back I chexked and there were no pigeon groups. will search again tomorrow. he seems healthy enough to last the night. hoping for the best.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update: he has survived the night. he pretty much drunk the whole thing of water I gave him. will look for more experienced people in my area today. May try to put diluted acv in water. The leg posted in the photo seems to be better as he is leaning on it more, but he still cant walk and is being very protective of the other leg. still seems in pain when trying to move.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts