Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Called my vet. If I take the pigeon there they will put it down (out of policy not that the injury is untreatable). Called the nearest wildlife station that is 50+ miles away. They said they do not treat pigeons, just local wildlife. Dont know where to go for help. Checking out facebook. I thought the injury was a broken foot but not it seems like broken leg. Pigeon cant walk. Very confused on the injury. Pigeon still wont eat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Located in Tulare County, California, USA.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Nothing looks broken to me. Can you check underneath the feet for injuries? If he is not eating, you will need to handfeed him. Just put him on your lap against your body on a soft towel and handfeed him defrosted green peas. Try 20 peas for a start and when that gets digested (you will notice a change in the droppings), you can feed more. An adult pigeon will need 50 peas 3 times a day. Do you have a large petshop closeby where you can get liquid calcium with added Vit D3 and also vitamins for birds?

There is a FB group: Palomacy Help group for pigeon and dove rescue. Plenty of members and someone might be close to you that will be able to help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you for your suggestion. I have already submitted a request to join Palomacy Help group. I will check local petshop for liquid calcium and vitamins. What vitamins are suitable for pigeons? Will small bird oasis do? I will try to feed peas. He will not peck at them, when I pop them in him mouth he tried to spit them out, It is very hard to get him to eat. Am I feeding him wrong or is it supposed to be hard?
Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am starting to think the pigeon has Adenovirus type I or something similar because he has polyuria, watery green diarrhea, and seems to be gagging alot, which I guess to fight vomitation.
Still have no idea why the pigeon cant walk.
Will continue attempt to feed.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Please keep us updated, he might have canker that explains the gagging and excessive water intake. You need to put the pea deeper inside the beak for him to swallow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
been posting updates and consulting on fb
bird is still alive. Bird still cant eat peas so tonight I fed the bird apple sauce.
after this I massaged the crop, hopefully to promote yeast growth and encourage digestion.
I may go to a veterinarian tomorrow.
Put diluted acv in water, to help with any disease the bird may have. My prayers are with the bird, and I hope he survives the night.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts