Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pigeon that seems to have an injured wing. I haven't looked underneath, but there is some blood on the outside of the wing. It is resting comfortably in a large box with water and some food (I'm at work so I'm limited to what's available here). I have large square holes punched in the lid of the box for some light and ventilation. One of my co-workers saw the bird last night sitting on the ground and it didn't move when he walked by. When he came to work this morning, the bird was in the same spot. I was able to gently pick it up and place it in the box. It can stand, and move it's wings (it's fluttered them a few times). I checked it's feet and they are not cold; it doesn't appear to be too distressed (I have a photo). What should I do?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Because you do not know the origing of the wound i think it is important to put him on antibiotic because if the wound was cause by a cat he could die.

cat's saliva is deadly to pigeons, you can use clavamox and buy it online.

keep him warm give him some pigeon seeds and fresh water, avoid any kind of processed food even bread, keep him in a quiet room where other pets do not go in.

Post some pictures of the injury and the bird to get more accurate advise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While the bird seems to favor the other leg, when I give my finger for a perch it will rest it's foot there. It seems to be able to press on my finger which leads me to believe it's not broken; perhaps just sore? It has flapped it's wings a few times so I don't think there are any broken bones there either. I haven't been able to see the underside of the wing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
He looks pretty much in pain and discomfort, offer him a bowl not deeper that 4/6cm deep with warm water and let him to take a bath on his own do not wash him yourself, clean the wound with betadine or aloe vera gel 98% pure aloe vera,

Get some antiobiotic wide spectrum for pigeons and give it following the instructions, if you have you can put on the wound cayenne pepper powder it helps a lot with the pain. aloe vera also.

I am fearing that if you do not put him on antiobiotics soon he could die, he does not look OK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you both for the advice!! I will check with a vet about getting some antibiotics. I have aloe vera gel that I will administer and give him the option of a bath. I used to know a local woman who helped with wild birds. I'll see if I can get in touch with her as well.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Do research on the places you brin him/her. Some places say they will care for the bird but will lie and kill him/her

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I can, I won't leave the bird with them, just get some instruction. Unless I find a reputable 'bird person' that would be willing to rehab this bird. Do you know how to tell if a pigeon is male or female?

·
Registered
624 Posts
You could put a mirror in front of it. Males will coo and admire themselves. Females could care less. Males are very vocal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.