Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a racing pigeon who was found with an injured wing. Someone found it and has been cleaning the wound on the inside of its wing. Not sure what got it, probably a hawk. I just got it tonight but the person who found it has had it for a week. Was flushing with peroxide, what looked and smelled like, an abscess.
Bands were read and racing club and owner called but no one has called back.
My question now is what can I do for this bird? Wing is dropping and doesn't use it at all. Also, what should it be fed that help it heal and or gain strength?
I've attached, I hope, two pics one is of the wound before flushing and the second is after being flushed.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area

Attachments

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Poor beautiful bird! Sad that his owner doesnt care.
Palomacy pigeon rescue lists rescue resources on their website in Philadelphia who might be able to help.
http://www.pigeonrescue.org/resources/some-pigeon-dove-friendly-rescues-in-the-us/
A list of vets near you is on Google too.
http://www.pigeons.biz/?page_id=626
Please before taking the bird to anyone make sure they are willing to help and not just euthanize the bird. Pigeons are tough and he may just need antibiotics if he was attacked by a cat or hawk. Our beautiful Phoebe was found with a broken wing and nearly decapitated but with TLC was our dearest pet for eight years. Please let us know how the bird is doing. Thank you for helping him!
Can you offer him pigeon mix and wild bird seed, and a dish if water? Is he safely contained in a cage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He/She is in a secured, indoor, cage. Thank you for the links. As long as he/she can heal, I plan on keeping it. I have an outdoor rabbit hutch for him/her to hang out in during the day time and I will bring inside at night. I want to wait to put it outside to make sure it's healed. I don't want it to get any maggots. I'll definitely keep you updated. I've always loved pigeons and would hate to see anything bad happen!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.