Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days back I found a pigeon who was walking on the road on front of my house. He was flapping his wings but can't fly. So I took him inside. He is eating well drinking water as well droppings are green and solid. he doesn't seems injured I tried to let him fly but he can't take a flight.dont know what is wrong with him. He has difficulty in finding seed sometimes he eats on his own but sometimes I need to take seeds near his head. He just sleeps all day.sometimes he tilt his head when sleeping. I have attached some pictures.
Please help!!!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
He is not looking well. Where in India are you located? There is a pigeon rescue centre in Mumbai if you are closeby. Can you catch him and check deep inside his beak and back of the throat for yellow growths? That is one of the symptoms of canker. Any other symptoms? Is he having difficulty swallowing? Drinking excessive water? Canker can be treated with metronidazole that you can get from a pharmacy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in a small village there is no piegon rescue centre nearby there is no yellow growth inside his mouth. He pick up seeds but toss it. Not drinking much water.sometimes turn in circles.should I give him mentronidazol and how much should be given??

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
No need for metro. He might have paramyxo virus. No meds for that, the virus needs to run its course and will take about 6 to 8 weeks. This is highly contageous to other pigeons. Can you confine him somewhere? You can put his seed in a deep bowl, will be easier to eat. Also, water in a small bowl. What do his droppjngs look like? If he is getting enough food, it should be brown and plenty. If green and creamy, then he is producing starvation droppings. You can handfeed green defrosted peas, about 150 per day divided into 3 meals.

The lump you are seeing is normal, that is the trachea. It becomes more obvious when the crop is empty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks marina
I don't have any other Pigeons.today I gave him wheat and rice seeds in bowl, he ate well.His droppings are green ahe white.Will he survive? He just sleeps all-day.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Salmonella infection can cause the same symptoms as PMV when the brain gets affected. Will you be able to get antibiotics? Enrofloxacin (baytril) works best for salmonella. I'm not so sure about the dosage, don't get that meds in our country. Hopefully someone else can confirm dosage. Otherwise you can give him (Betamox 500 mg amoxycillin). He will need 12 mg for every 100 gr birdweight twice a day. He must weigh about 300 gr, so you can give 35 mg. Empty the capsule, divide the powder into the correct dosage. Wet a small piece of bread, cover with the 35 mg powder and put deep inside his beak for him to swallow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will get meds for once the shops open but it's really difficult for me to feed him meds as he is scared of me, don't allow me to touch him. Can I mix medicine in water? And r u sure abt the lump near his neck as it reddish

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
You can use the metro and amoxy together. Give him 40 mg of metro once a day and the 35 mg of amoxy twice a day. You will need to give the meds orally, when you put this in the drinking water then you have no control over the amount he takes in.

He will be scared of you. You can put him on your lap against your body for better control. Just open the beak and put the small piece of bread deep inside over the tongue. If he spits it out, you need to put this deeper inside.

You will need to confine him. You will need to treat him for at least 7 to 10 days. If the meds start working after a couple of days and he feels better, he might fly away and then you can't finish the whole course.

Can't you get a large cardboard box to house him in? Even an old birdcage will work.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Keep us updated. You can add apple cider vinegar to his drinking water twice a week. Leave that as his drinking water for the day. Will help prevent yeast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes...I have him meds but he is does seems intersted in food from morning. He pick up seed and then shakes his head sooo fast that seed falls down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I opened his beack and push seeds in his mouth as he is not eating enough on his own. Am I spoiling him? Will he get habitual with this way of eating and never learn eating normally?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
No, you are not spoiling him but saving his life. He will prefer to eat by himself if he could instead of being forcefed. After feeding him seeds, you can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a bowl of water to make him drink.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok..I am giving him meds.Today he was active all day. Walk and spin many times, tried to fly as well.but still twists neck.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Poor thing. Rather keep him in a room. If he flies away and you can't get to him, he surely won't survive. Stress aggravates the symptoms, try to keep him as stress free as possible.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts