Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

We have had what we believe to be a racing/show pigeon lingering around the property for the past three days. We have no idea what to do with him so we haven't tried to catch him even though he is not afraid of people and just calmly walks away when approached. He has a yellow ring on his left foot and a pink one on his right. (Pictures available.) We have given it water and he has plenty of seeds from Mesquite trees that he readily feeds on. We live in Three Points, about 25 miles SW of Tucson, Arizona. Do you have any suggestions? He obviously belongs to someone.

Sincerely,
Ric Hellwig
520-822-2054
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your concern over this pigeon.

Please do catch him since he is domestic and he should not be left out in the elements. Do you have a dog or cat carrier or cage you can keep him in?

Does the band have any numbers and letters on them? You need to read the band and let us know, and please don't release the bird, we will help locate his home or try to find him a new home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your quick response. I have a bad back and can not bend over and my wife is afraid he'll fly away. He seems to like it here since he's been here since Thursday night.

I have an old parrot cage out back. If I place it where we put the water bowl do you think he may walk into it and then maybe we can handle him to read the bands? Is there anything I can put in the cage to attract him?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
What a lovely bird.

Is he eating and drinking?

Try this:

http://www.racingbirds.com/ptrap.html

Be sure to put some wild bird seed under it.

The cage will do fine, but he must have protection from the elements, like rain and wind and especially predatora, but any openings larger then 1/4 inch will be dangerous unless you can bring the cage inside.

G

·
looks to be a lost racing pigeon since he has a chip band along with his identification band ,so if you do catch him then someone will be able to trace him back to his owner with that info ..thanks for caring and food is the key to catching it so hope your able to get him/her ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's drinking and eating seeds from the ground. I don't have any kind of bird food at all. Wild or otherwise. But I have to go into town tomorrow. If he's still here I'll bring some back. The cage I thought I had is gone. I put a pet carrier next to the water dish. He can also go in the shed if need be.

Thanks for the link. If this doesn't work, I'll follow those directions.

G

·
if you get some seed and make a trail into the shed you could easily trap him in there too ,thats if you can get him to go into it ;) goodluck :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, but I won't be able to get the seed until tomorrow. Any special kind or just wild bird seed?

G

·
well if you can get a dove mix that would be better but if you cant just get the basic kind an that should sdo for now ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts