Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A gentleman found a sick bird today on Luke Air-Force Base the bird is severly under weight, has diarrhea, and IS BANDED. However the band is not numbered (its a yellowish/orange plastic snap-on type band). 'Gorgeous George' (got tired of calling him bird) is currently starting a five day course of Ornycn Plus with electrolytes to help his diarrhea and any possible infection he may have. 'George' is a slate-black color with a white tail, white eyes, and a very fine/ petite beak.

If you or someone you know has lost a bird that fits this description please contact me ASAP.

*below are pics of the bird-- not good pics, 'cus I was trying not to stress him out..

Attachments

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
The pics are huge. I don't know if I can resize them.
Anyways, he is a beautiful bird and you are taking great care of him. Did you see any improvement in his diarrhea?
Is he eating and drinking water?
With no numbers on the band it will be hard to find the owner of this gorgeous bird.

Reti

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
won't know if there is any improvement for at least a couple days I am sure. I gave him food and he ate ALOT lol, but now he is taking a nap.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Good thing he is eating. That means he might not even be too sick, just starved.
Please keep us updated and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Reti

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Interesting...he/she looks like a youngster but not a baby. Doesn't particularly look like a Fancy breed nor a Homer, either. Looks sorta like a Feral.

You have done excellent so far. keep up the food and liquids.

Did you check for external injury ? Blood, dried scabs, scrapes, lesions, bald spots/missing feathers, abrasions ????

Keep an eye out for any typical red flags:

1) Listlessness/fluffing up of feathers often

2) Eyes closed or squinting often

3) Odd neurological signs such as head tics or neck twisting.

Keep George in a warm and quiet place, too....by warm I mean +75 degrees F......

Thanks for caring !!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Interesting...he/she looks like a youngster but not a baby. Doesn't particularly look like a Fancy breed nor a Homer, either. Looks sorta like a Feral."

He's not a feral, the ferals here in arizona are bulky/ stocky, have thick beaks, and are definately from a strain of homers/ meat pigeons. Predominantly grey, there are a few pieds, blacks, checkers, blues, and mmmaaayyybee a few reds-- these are usually escaped birds from my observation. This guy is definately out of the ordinary for this locale, and is very human oriented-- not too many ferals are welcoming of human contact even if sick or injured ;)

"Did you check for external injury ? Blood, dried scabs, scrapes, lesions, bald spots/missing feathers, abrasions ????"

no injuries are externally visible, no missing feathers, or even feathers that look "tattered"

"Keep an eye out for any typical red flags:

1) Listlessness/fluffing up of feathers often

2) Eyes closed or squinting often"

He is fluffed up (just like you see in the top picture with his head on his chest) that is another reason why I started him on Ornycn-- he is definately starved, and has probably been missing for several days from someones aviary. I'd be willing to bet that he ate something he wasn't supposed to while he was out too :(

As soon as he/she is up to par (if his owners cannot be located) The pij will be up for adoption.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update time :D

George is doing better...I think maybe its a she?? But for the time being is still named Gorgeous George..

The Pij is eatting, is awfully quite..hardly know it's still in the cage... and is developing into quite the character. George is a very calm bird who is easily handled, you can even turn him onto his back with out fuss, and he doesn't mind sitting on your shoulder or lap like a parrot-- my cockatiel is getting jealous lol.

He's put on more weight, not as much as I think he should.. I can still feel his breast bone :( should I be worried?? His activity level has definately picked up, and he isn't all fluffed up all the time anymore, poo is back to normal healthy consistancy... Right now he is on a mixed seed diet..probably not the best source of protien ect. Suggestions. Anyone?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
He sounds more like a pet rather than comming from a loft.
I am glad he adjusted so well.
Give it a few more days and see if he gains more weight. He might need deworming at some point, especially if he does not gain weight.
You did a great job with this little guy or gal.;)

Reti

1 - 13 of 13 Posts