Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a feral baby pigeon, which I will probably keep as a pet. I am guessing s/he is about 8 days old? I have him in a small box with a cloth nest inside, have a heat lamp over it at about 80F. Have been feeding Kaytee Exact baby food, watery. Eats well, but what a mess to clean up! I'm using a cut off syringe, covered (w/rubberband) by a vinyl exam glove with a slot cut in it to fit the beak. Quite the gobbler! Here are my questions:

First, How Damn cute is this thing?
From the pics, what would you say is its age?
How much and how often do I feed?
At what age will I be able to sex it?
Any other tips, or referral to a How-To page here? (This forum is huge... I haven't found a one-stop-How-To page for babies yet, though) Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
What a cute little thing! I think you are spot on with the age. There's a lot of videos on youtube: just google how to feed baby pigeon. You can put a piece of toiletpaper in front around his chest to prevent food spilling there. Always clean him, otherwise the formula will get rock hard and be very difficult to get it off.

In the first photo the crop is empty, looks better in the second photo. Don't overfill the crop. Only feed when the crop is empty. Keep a jar of baby applesauce just for in case his digestion slows down. If this happens, you can mix some applesauce in with the formula.

It's good you are keeping him, he will imprint on you. Let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just fed him for the second time today, and he gobbled voraciously! Unfortunately, he had not emptied his crop since the last time I fed him - about four hours ago - so I'm afraid the crop is over-full now. I'm going to wait another 3-4 hours and then feed some applesauce. Right?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Wait for the crop to empty and then mix some applesauce with his formula. There should be plenty of droppings inbetween feedings if he is warm enough.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Marina! It's hard to wait to feed him, because he's begging like crazy! But his crop is still full. Hopefully in the morning it will be empty.

What are normal droppings of a week-or-so old pigeon? All I've seen so far is a blow-out of green mess.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
When on handraising formula, their droppings should be round and firm. Almost like a large raisin. Yes, plse post a photo.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I've just converted 80 F to C. That is 26 C, a bit cold. A newly hatched baby need 35 to 38 C. So you need to raise the temperature. If too cold, the food won't digest and she will get sour crop. Raise the temp to 32 degrees, keep an eye on her so that she does not overheat. She should start producing more droppings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There were a few small, more defined poops this morning, but the crop is still not empty. I gave her a small feeding of formula (mostly water), some applesauce and a few drops of vinegar. That was at 9am. It is now 12:30 and still no poop. How long can I wait to feed her? Just keep waiting until I see some evacuation? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Did you raise the temperature? Feed her small amounts of warmed up baby applesauce. Gently massage the crop afterwards to get things going. Carefull not to push the contents of the crop into her beak, otherwise she might aspirate. It's possible the formula you fed was too thick, should be the consistency of tomato ketchup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice, large, well-defined poop earlier. I think she is back online. It is SO HARD not to overfeed, when she is so voraciously begging! I upped the heat and thinned out the formula.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unrelated, but... Specific question about the forum here, since I haven't had an answer in the other thread... is there a way to sort the threads from first to last/old to new? I'd like to see the original posts first. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I'm glad things are going better. How much are you feeding at the moment now that the crop is empty again? Add some of the applesauce once a day to her formula to keep things going.

I always click on new posts and then one see the latest postings on threads. To read the whole thread you need to go back to the start of the thread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
In the past I have raised baby rescue starlings, sparrows, robins and a thrasher. When the local Wildlife Rescue called and asked if I would take this baby pigeon, I hesitated. ...Okay, I'll just say it. Pigeons are a penny a dozen. I won't say rats with wings, but they are so omnipresent and I just didn't care much for them. I kind of resented them showing up to take all the seeds I left out for the native mourning doves, white wing and Eurasian collared doves.

Until I got this baby. Totally different from other baby birds; they don't passively gape and let the mom or dad feed em, but instead they reach into the parent's beak with gusto to get the food. I never would have guessed this thing was a pigeon when I got it. With that enormous beak, I would have guessed a condor?

What a character this thing is. People advised me not to overfeed her. How am I supposed to not do that, with this world-class, gusto begging? I have to tiptoe into the room, because if she hears me from her box, she totally spazzes out. And I find it very hard to say no.

I love my new pigeon.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
15 ml seems fine every 6 hours or so. You can slightly increase the amount every day. Just keep an eye on the crop not to overfill and let it empty inbetween feedings. She is still going to drive you mad. Getting them to eat seeds is always the hardest part.

They also love to be scratched around the head, especially under the eyes. That's what the parents probably do to their youngsters. As a reward, she will groom your fingers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts