Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not an experienced forum user, just hope someone will see this & can help. Cannot find Massachusetts info on local pigeon people, am trying. A nice-looking, somewhat tame racing-type pigeon has been coming to my birdfeeder for a few days. No band. Is there a good pigeon "lost-and-found" site? Alternatively, I would love to have someone give this bird a good home. I have not tried to secure the bird. It is healthy; I have no way to keep it long-term.
Thank you.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I am not an experienced forum user, just hope someone will see this & can help. Cannot find Massachusetts info on local pigeon people, am trying. A nice-looking, somewhat tame racing-type pigeon has been coming to my birdfeeder for a few days. No band. Is there a good pigeon "lost-and-found" site? Alternatively, I would love to have someone give this bird a good home. I have not tried to secure the bird. It is healthy; I have no way to keep it long-term.
Thank you.
Thankyou for caring for this pigeon, without a band there is not way to track the owner.. If you do secure it, you can try to find a good adoption home for it, or perhaps a member here in your area would be willing to help out.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Thank you.
What part of Mass? I'm on the South Shore/South Coast. Can you describe the pigeon? Pictures?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am north of Worcester, in Hubbardston. I have photos which I can send tonight. I guess I would need your email address? Mine is [email protected]. (Not sure about posting email addresses on forum.)
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Also Jay3 is in MA, perhaps PM her as well. (do a member search for Jay3)

For securing it...yes, it is worth a try. First off, does he/she spook/flee when you approach ? Or does she hold her ground ? Trying to determine how human-acclimated he may be....

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Also Jay3 is in MA, perhaps PM her as well. (do a member search for Jay3)

For securing it...yes, it is worth a try. First off, does he/she spook/flee when you approach ? Or does she hold her ground ? Trying to determine how human-acclimated he may be....
I have been in email contact with her and gave her contact info for pigeon people close to her. Jaye3 is further south than me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still trying central MA adoption

Thanks for your help & suggestions. Update: Ptras tells me that "my" nice-looking, unbanded bird is a homing pigeon. The bird doesn't let me approach too closely--maybe 6-8 feet--before flying to the roof of my house. I understand the importance of capturing the bird, but I don't have a place to keep the bird even if I figure out how to capture it. But I would work more dilgently to catch it if I knew it would have a home to go to.
Ptras has given me some names of people who might help. So far I have tried two people with no luck. In a strange coincidence, I met a man on a hiking trail today who was out flying his three homing pigeons. I explained my dilemma; he wasn't interested because he breeds his own birds. And he had no other names for me. Again, his advice was to secure the bird, but then what?
I will keep trying. I have a friend who is a wildlife rehabilitator, so maybe she could help me trap the pigeon & borrow a cage. If I get to that stage and can maybe drive part way to meet someone, is there a better chance for getting this bird adopted?
If anyone is seriously interested, email the address I posted earlier for photos.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm about the same distance to her that you are. Which isn't much help :(
There is a bird in need of your assistance. :rolleyes:

I can't take the bird, as it cannot go in with my rollers, and I'm consolidating birds in my loft now that it is open.

I emailed Wendy and told her to contact you, and that I would twist your arm (wing?) a little. :D She is willing to drive to meet you.

Did you see the pictures in my previous post?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I have been in email contact with her and gave her contact info for pigeon people close to her. Jaye3 is further south than me.
Not further south. More Central than you. I'm a little over an hour away from Hubbardston.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
She hasn't caught him yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts