Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a pigeon at work in the parking today. He - she -it, was, doing swizzle sticks in the parking lot unable to fly or focus and rotated in circles, no fear of us as well. We got a box and easily picked him up with no struggle,(he almost seemed relieved to be held still) and I brought him home,(omg I hope I doesn't get the bird flu err something). He was making strange jerky head bobs in the box but I think the dark helped and it has subsided throughout the day. I have moved him to a mid-size dog crate that he can't fly out of, at least I think when he feels better, and covered it with a towel offered him water bought him some "natures song" peanut butter treat suet and a berry one as well (not sure if this is what I should give him I just want to help him eat readily for now(???)). I'm not sure, but I think he either hit a window, a car, or was a drunken fool. I believe the latter of the list. he seems hung over and sleepy, at least I hope. do pigeon's mate for life?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have him turned in somewhere tomorrow if it will help, but if not and I have to feed him the rest of his life, fine.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Thanks for saving the poor bird..

The bird could have suffered a blow to the head, in which case it will be in pain.
If the bird is not eating by himself, you need to feed him. You can give corn, peas, or seeds that pigeons eat...Also dip only the TIP of his beak into water in a bowl, so that he drinks.

If it is a concussion, it can improve over time, and he could be released once he is flying and eating well. If the head wobbling and circling is due to the viral disease PMV, the disease just has to run its course. The pigeon may or may not make a full recovery, and it will need your help with the feeding perhaps for weeks or even months...
For now, keep him in a warm and quiet place, and feed him when his crop empties. You can give like 20 defrosted peas, thrice a day (that makes 60 peas in a day)...you can increase the number depending on how well he is eating..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts