Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I found a pigeon (a teen adult) on the street. When I approached him he wouldn't fly away, and when he tried to do it he'd open its wings and just splat front first in the ground. I brought him home and put him in a shoebox (without closing it) and gave him water and a seed mix (sunflower, chia and other stuff I found in a müsli bag without the fruit).

He looks very weak and kept his eyelids half-closed all day. He barely has any fluff left but when he wants to drink water he just puts his beak in the water and tried to drink like that. Also he can't eat alone so I fed him by hand.

He also had a big ball of droppings on his tail which I cut off and fortunately pooped normally.

Still, he sometimes loses balance and can hardly maintain it on my finger.

What do I do? He won't eat or drink water(or doesn't know how), eyes half-closed most of the time and loss of balance from time to time (let alone not knowing how to fly). I need some help. I'll also provide a photo of how he's doing.
Bird Beak Feather Wood Safety glove

Attachments

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Can you take a flashlight and check inside his beak and back of the throat for any yellow growths that will indicate canker? You can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water to get him to drink. If the droppings are green and creamy, then he is starving. Do you have frozen green peas? Defrost in warm water. Put one pea deep inside his beak and over the tongue and let him swallow. Feed him 10 peas, and when he produces droppings you can feed 20 more. Easier if you have him on your lap. A youngster that age will need about 90 to 120 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 30 to 40 peas. Depending on how well the crop empties.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Also keep him warm. Wrap a hotwaterbottle in a soft blanket and put this next to him. He is old enough to be eating seeds. Obviously something is wrong with him.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you take a flashlight and check inside his beak and back of the throat for any yellow growths that will indicate canker? You can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water to get him to drink. If the droppings are green and creamy, then he is starving. Do you have frozen green peas? Defrost in warm water. Put one pea deep inside his beak and over the tongue and let him swallow. Feed him 10 peas, and when he produces droppings you can feed 20 more. Easier if you have him on your lap. A youngster that age will need about 90 to 120 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 30 to 40 peas. Depending on how well the crop empties.
I'll check for yellow spots tomorrow since it's almost midnight for me right now, although he won't stay still when I feed him and struggles to swallow (or something I don't really know he jiggles his head back and forth sometimes after I give him a seed and sometimes spits them out). I'll try my best and check him out. Would he swallow the peas if I gave him some or would be spit them like with the seeds?
Edit: would rice be good as well since I don't think I have peas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update, he has bumps in his mouth and throat that are visible and rather yellow-ish or pink-ish. Any idea specifically what they are

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Sounds like canker. Can you get hold of 400 mg metronidazole from a pharmacy? You can crush the tablet and divide till you get heaps of about 40 mg. Take a small piece of wet bread, soak up the powder and put deep inside the beak over the tongue for him to swallow. If he spits it out, you need to put this deeper inside the beak. Feed him soft foods. One can easily dislodge the canker growths and this will start bleeding which can be fatal. Try baby cereal that has no sugar or added milkproducts. Mix with a little bit of water and form soft small balls to feed him. Feed him small amounts throughout the day and keep him hydrated by dipping his beak (not over the nostrils) in the water.

Give him 40 mg of metro once a day for at least 7 days or until the yellow is gone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sounds like canker. Can you get hold of 400 mg metronidazole from a pharmacy? You can crush the tablet and divide till you get heaps of about 40 mg. Take a small piece of wet bread, soak up the powder and put deep inside the beak over the tongue for him to swallow. If he spits it out, you need to put this deeper inside the beak. Feed him soft foods. One can easily dislodge the canker growths and this will start bleeding which can be fatal. Try baby cereal that has no sugar or added milkproducts. Mix with a little bit of water and form soft small balls to feed him. Feed him small amounts throughout the day and keep him hydrated by dipping his beak (not over the nostrils) in the water.

Give him 40 mg of metro once a day for at least 7 days or until the yellow is gone.
What other types of soft foods are there? Asking since bread isn't that good energy source for them (as far as I know)

Edit: answer not necessary anymore (no growths seen today after rechecking. What I saw was seeds I gave him)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Update

Sorry for changing my mind, but after taking a better look inside his mouth there are no growths. What I saw yellow were the seeds I fed him. I still need help understanding why he jiggles his head after feeding and why he doesn't know how to eat on his own.

Edit: he seems a little better today but still keeps his eyes half closed.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
The yellow growths are one symptom of canker. If deeper down in throat and crop, then you won't notice it. What do the droppings look like? Can you post a photo? Best soft food will be a handraising formula for baby parrots from a petshop. Also in powder form that you can mix with a bit of water and form soft balls to handfeed. Has all the vitamins he needs. Otherwise, a bag of frozen peas from a supermarket that you can defrost in warm water. You can half the peas for easier swallowing. But the handraising formula will be a better option. Make sure he stays hydrated. He is sick and that's why he is not eating.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The yellow growths are one symptom of canker. If deeper down in throat and crop, then you won't notice it. What do the droppings look like? Can you post a photo? Best soft food will be a handraising formula for baby parrots from a petshop. Also in powder form that you can mix with a bit of water and form soft balls to handfeed. Has all the vitamins he needs. Otherwise, a bag of frozen peas from a supermarket that you can defrost in warm water. You can half the peas for easier swallowing. But the handraising formula will be a better option. Make sure he stays hydrated. He is sick and that's why he is not eating.
He is constantly diving to drink water. In diving I mean he puts his beak in the water and tries to suck it like through a straw. The droppings are a black and green mixture and very wet. Poops quite often too

Edit: also I checked with a lantern down his throat, and didn't see any bumps. I'll continue to check daily or so to see if they appear

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I would go ahead and start treating him for canker. Something is definitely wrong and the canker will kill him. Get the metro asap and start treating him.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would go ahead and start treating him for canker. Something is definitely wrong and the canker will kill him. Get the metro asap and start treating him.
How will I know when to stop from giving him the pills

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I pet him a little and he jumped out of the box and now he keeps moving and looking at me. Is it a good sign? While petting him he kept closing his eyes and trying to get closer to me (I pet him behind his neck)

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
If he has canker, there will probably be an improvement after 3 days. The droppings will be better looking. But do a 10 day course. If you stop treatment too soon, the canker will return. After treatment, you can add apple cider vinegar to his drinking water to restore the good gut bacteria. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water.

He sounds more active. Did you manage to get food into him?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If he has canker, there will probably be an improvement after 3 days. The droppings will be better looking. But do a 10 day course. If you stop treatment too soon, the canker will return. After treatment, you can add apple cider vinegar to his drinking water to restore the good gut bacteria. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water.

He sounds more active. Did you manage to get food into him?
I got some peas and metro. I plan to put metro bits in the peas and feed it to him.
I got some food in him but he's only active when I'm around

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rather give meds with small piece of bread. It might not get absorbed so well when inside a pea.
I'll try multiple ways. I gave him some peas now but he still falls when he tries to move. Could it be a leg issue or something I can't see? And if it was only about the legs why can't he fly

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Can you check for any wounds esp on the breast area and under the body? Otherwise he might have a spinal injury that is affecting his legs. Or he is just weak from not eating. Keep him on soft bedding in a small box to limit his movement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you check for any wounds esp on the breast area and under the body? Otherwise he might have a spinal injury that is affecting his legs. Or he is just weak from not eating. Keep him on soft bedding in a small box to limit his movement.
I keep him in a shoebox on a fluffy shirt I don't use anymore. I am keeping him as cozy as possible but he jumps out any time he wants

Edit: yesterday he was just standing there, today he jumped out over 10 times at which point we just let him roam free in the room as long as he didn't poop on the carpet (happened twice)

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Are the droppings improving? He sounds more active. Get a very large cardboard box (maybe a supermarket will have one), turn this on the side with the open part to the front. Cover the open part with chicken wire or any mesh that will allow light inside the box. Line the bottom with a couple of newspapers and put a brick inside for him to perch on. Every morning you can just remove the top layer of newspaper with the droppings on. Much easier for both of you.

Also provide him with seeds and water. He might start eating by himself.

You can put the box on a table, they feel safer when off the ground.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts