Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Are the droppings improving? He sounds more active. Get a very large cardboard box (maybe a supermarket will have one), turn this on the side with the open part to the front. Cover the open part with chicken wire or any mesh that will allow light inside the box. Line the bottom with a couple of newspapers and put a brick inside for him to perch on. Every morning you can just remove the top layer of newspaper with the droppings on. Much easier for both of you.

Also provide him with seeds and water. He might start eating by himself.

You can put the box on a table, they feel safer when off the ground.
I let him roam in my kitchen during the day and leave him in the cardboard box at night. Today he actually started walking all around the kitchen and looking at the drawers while flexing his wings from time to time. His eyes look way clearer and he's more active. The droppings are the same though

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Are the droppings improving? He sounds more active. Get a very large cardboard box (maybe a supermarket will have one), turn this on the side with the open part to the front. Cover the open part with chicken wire or any mesh that will allow light inside the box. Line the bottom with a couple of newspapers and put a brick inside for him to perch on. Every morning you can just remove the top layer of newspaper with the droppings on. Much easier for both of you.

Also provide him with seeds and water. He might start eating by himself.

You can put the box on a table, they feel safer when off the ground.
I just witnessed his attempt at eating and something is not alright with him. He does manage to grab seeds sometimes but while trying to swallow he shakes his head and they come out of his mouth. What's wrong?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Are you treating for canker? Did you notice any difficulty swallowing when you handfeed him?
I am treating him with a 5th or a 6th of a pill a day. He just jiggles his head when I try to do so and opposes resistance which I find as normal since no one would like his head grabbed and beak forced open then to shove something up your throat

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi, so I found a pigeon (a teen adult) on the street. When I approached him he wouldn't fly away, and when he tried to do it he'd open its wings and just splat front first in the ground. I brought him home and put him in a shoebox (without closing it) and gave him water and a seed mix (sunflower, chia and other stuff I found in a müsli bag without the fruit).

He looks very weak and kept his eyelids half-closed all day. He barely has any fluff left but when he wants to drink water he just puts his beak in the water and tried to drink like that. Also he can't eat alone so I fed him by hand.

He also had a big ball of droppings on his tail which I cut off and fortunately pooped normally.

Still, he sometimes loses balance and can hardly maintain it on my finger.

What do I do? He won't eat or drink water(or doesn't know how), eyes half-closed most of the time and loss of balance from time to time (let alone not knowing how to fly). I need some help. I'll also provide a photo of how he's doing. View attachment 98625
Update: I took him to a vet. He's getting better. I'll make sure to post a picture soon

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Sounds like he is making the sounds of a youngster when getting fed. When the parents feed them, they flap their wings and make squeaking sounds. Check on youtube for videos of pigeon babies getting fed by their parents and compare to his behaviour. If his behaviour is the same as in the videos, that means he is getting really tame and accepting you as his parent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Sounds like he is making the sounds of a youngster when getting fed. When the parents feed them, they flap their wings and make squeaking sounds. Check on youtube for videos of pigeon babies getting fed by their parents and compare to his behaviour. If his behaviour is the same as in the videos, that means he is getting really tame and accepting you as his parent.
Nah I fed him bread and he got a tummy ache (the vet told me after I called)
Nevermind seems like he was hella hungry and just wanted to express it. You may be right since he also started following me everywhere

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Please don't feed him bread. Rather try defrosted green peas. Defrost in warm water and handfeed him about 90 per day divided into 3 meals of 30 each. They quickly learn to eat peas by themselves. He might peck them from your fingers, then you can leave a small bowl of peas with him. When he starts eating peas, then you can add small seeds.

I hope you are planning on keeping him. He will be too tame for release.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Please don't feed him bread. Rather try defrosted green peas. Defrost in warm water and handfeed him about 90 per day divided into 3 meals of 30 each. They quickly learn to eat peas by themselves. He might peck them from your fingers, then you can leave a small bowl of peas with him. When he starts eating peas, then you can add small seeds.

I hope you are planning on keeping him. He will be too tame for release.
I'm feeding him a parrot mix of seeds. The only bread I'd give him is a pinch that I need to give from time to time in order to make his droppings more solid since they're more water than poop

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, so I found a pigeon (a teen adult) on the street. When I approached him he wouldn't fly away, and when he tried to do it he'd open its wings and just splat front first in the ground. I brought him home and put him in a shoebox (without closing it) and gave him water and a seed mix (sunflower, chia and other stuff I found in a müsli bag without the fruit).

He looks very weak and kept his eyelids half-closed all day. He barely has any fluff left but when he wants to drink water he just puts his beak in the water and tried to drink like that. Also he can't eat alone so I fed him by hand.

He also had a big ball of droppings on his tail which I cut off and fortunately pooped normally.

What do I do? He won't eat or drink water(or doesn't know how), eyes half-closed most of the time and loss of balance from time to time (let alone not knowing how to fly). I need some help. I'll also provide a photo of how he's doi

What do I do? He won't eat or drink water(or doesn't know how), eyes half-closed most of the time and loss of balance from time to time (let alone not knowing how to fly). I need some help. I'll also provide a photo of how he's doing. View attachment 98625
Pigeon I am taking care off was also very very week. I found a video about it and flowing it start melting B12 and D3 ( separate) gummies vitamins in the water and give them with the drink and use syringa to get the water in her throat ( to get more B12) .And the bird is improving. She is trying to stand! for 2 weeks she could`t.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Did the vet tested him for canker?
They gave him some pills and shots and looked at him everywhere and anywhere. They said it's still young (a month or a month and a half old) and that's y he won't fly. I believe what they gave him is good bc of his ever-increasing activity. Also his droppings are starting to look more normal

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

Update: he's healthy and is now called peas. Also today I found another one that is older and way more buff (almost a full adult). I had some issues with convincing mom to keep him, but I managed to pull it through thanks to the vet who gave me a cage, a big box and a free treatment for him just so I can keep him for the time being. Bless his soul I feel like crying after that conversation

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Do you have two pigeons now? If so, keep them seperated for now. Does the other one seem fine? Can he fly? Why do you want to keep him as well?

·
Registered
141 Posts
What a lovely vet you have 😇
It must be sick as the vet gave him treatment for him. Good luck with them two ! Yes keep them separated please it could carry nasty things and as he is older he could bully the other one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Do you have two pigeons now? If so, keep them seperated for now. Does the other one seem fine? Can he fly? Why do you want to keep him as well?
What a lovely vet you have 😇
It must be sick as the vet gave him treatment for him. Good luck with them two ! Yes keep them separated please it could carry nasty things and as he is older he could bully the other one.
Sadly, the newest one I found (I don't want to forget him and my brother insisted we name him Guano) passed away last night while we were asleep. He was breathing heavily and had a gooey texture when checking for food in his crop. He'd always be asleep with his head down and his droppings were only water even if we fed him. I don't know what I could've done more to save him. I really had hope for him since he looked so strong and all.. He looked way better than when I found Peas. I had less hope for Peas than I had for Guano at first. I don't know what else to say, but just a big hole of regret and feeling that I could've done better, but without knowing how.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts