Pigeon-Talk banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Wish you poster sooner about the new one. Could have been yeast or blockage in crop. That's why he only produced water. One should never add food when the crop is not emptying. If the crop is not working, they can starve to death with a full crop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hi, so I found a pigeon (a teen adult) on the street. When I approached him he wouldn't fly away, and when he tried to do it he'd open its wings and just splat front first in the ground. I brought him home and put him in a shoebox (without closing it) and gave him water and a seed mix (sunflower, chia and other stuff I found in a müsli bag without the fruit).

He looks very weak and kept his eyelids half-closed all day. He barely has any fluff left but when he wants to drink water he just puts his beak in the water and tried to drink like that. Also he can't eat alone so I fed him by hand.

He also had a big ball of droppings on his tail which I cut off and fortunately pooped normally.

Still, he sometimes loses balance and can hardly maintain it on my finger.

What do I do? He won't eat or drink water(or doesn't know how), eyes half-closed most of the time and loss of balance from time to time (let alone not knowing how to fly). I need some help. I'll also provide a photo of how he's doing. View attachment 98625
He now eats on his own

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hi, so I found a pigeon (a teen adult) on the street. When I approached him he wouldn't fly away, and when he tried to do it he'd open its wings and just splat front first in the ground. I brought him home and put him in a shoebox (without closing it) and gave him water and a seed mix (sunflower, chia and other stuff I found in a müsli bag without the fruit).

He looks very weak and kept his eyelids half-closed all day. He barely has any fluff left but when he wants to drink water he just puts his beak in the water and tried to drink like that. Also he can't eat alone so I fed him by hand.

He also had a big ball of droppings on his tail which I cut off and fortunately pooped normally.

What do I do? He won't eat or drink water(or doesn't know how), eyes half-closed most of the time and loss of balance from time to time (let alone not knowing how to fly). I need some help. I'll also provide a photo of how he's doing. View attachment 98625
He got lice. Taking him to the vet tomorrow

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

OK so I've definitely had him for a while now and he's healthy and grown up. A couple days ago he also started appearing on the tables, trash bin etc etc. I'm afraid he's attached to me bc always comes to sit on my legs when I enter the room, but I still want to free him in a week or so (just to make sure he grows strong enough to endure far flights). He also started to make those guru guru sounds about 10 minutes ago while on my leg, pinching on it. I need advice

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
He sounds too tame to be released. Is there no way you can keep him? You can build him an aviary outside and still let him free fly after a month or so. He will stick around and return for sleeping and eating.

Life outside is very hard for them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
He sounds too tame to be released. Is there no way you can keep him? You can build him an aviary outside and still let him free fly after a month or so. He will stick around and return for sleeping and eating.

Life outside is very hard for them.
I life in an apartment. I'm pretty sure I can't keep him

41 - 50 of 50 Posts