Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I found a feral pigeon last Thursday outside the shopping mall. It really looks like a full sized pigeon, with adult feathers and everything. But it can't fly and it does looks small when you pick it up. I thought it was just an injured bird, but the bird has no signs of injury. It does flaps it's wings a little bit when it wants to get away from me. I assume therefore it's still a baby, just hasn't learned to fly yet. I have seen some of that size still in their nests. I was hoping to just give it over to a vet, but they are reluctant to do any of that. So I thought that I would be patient and hopefully it would start flying soon.

Anyway, it was doing all well and good. I kept it in a small unused room in the basement (which is partly outdoors. But is a room with a door and things like that) and I would sometimes let it out in the backyard, and throw bread everywhere for it. Sometimes I fill up a bowl of breed for it and put it inside the room. I don't usually check up on it much. I'm very busy.

When I went to check on it today and feed him, it wasn't so full of life. It's was carrying it's head weakly at times. When birds do that it's a bad sign. He ate a lot of the bread I gave him yesterday, but I saw that there were still some leftovers. The whether has been cold and has been ever since I got the bird. I didn't think the bird was cold before, but I tucked him into a box with Two bottles of hot water too keep him warm.

He didn't even eat any of the bread that I just gave him. I put a bit in his mouth and he moved his beak, I'm not sure whether to eat it or to get it out.

I gave him some water and he did drink. But I had to dip the tip of his beak in. Then he just put his whole head for a while, and then brought it back up. He shook his head because no doubt he got water through his nostrils. He did this twice. In honesty, I didn't really give him much water before. I thought he would be fine with bread, and seeing as how it had been raining here and there, I imagined the bread would collect water. Also, he was eating other things off the lawn. I was hoping that this would be simple. these pigeons build nests on buildings. I reckon that his nest might have been nearby, and that maybe I should have looked and tried putting him back up. But I thought he was just injured then.

If it helps, he definitely has some parasites on him.

Any help in restoring this bird back to it's health would be much appreciated. Is there any Feral pigeon friendly rescue groups in Sydney. I would love to take the poor thing there.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The bird seems to be going downhill...I think you have already done some basic things...first keeping him warm, then hydrating.
I don't think it is good to get water into his nostrils...keep the water level inside the bowl just enough for one-third the beak to dip in and suck.
Once he is warm and hydrated, you can feed him.
Feel his crop for any food remains. If it feels empty, try feeding him some defrosted peas...maybe 10 would do. Bread is not a good option for pigeons.
I think that medication for parasites can wait...we need to stabilize him first.

How do the poops look?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bread can't offer him all the necessary nutrients and now that he is weak he may not be able to eat hard food - seeds. Give him boiled peas and honey. Fill an insulin syringe (or other thin syringe) with 2-3 ml of honey, put the syringe in his throat well beyond the air hole and push the plunger. Give him 2 /3 ml of honey three times / day.

The bird certainly has a disease that most probably will kill him soon if you don't find what it is and give the proper medicines.

To find our what disease is, ideally you would make some lab test for microbian organisms. If is too expensive, tell us more about symptoms. Look inside his mouth for some yellow deposits, look at his vent if is clean, listen if some low noise comes from inside him when he breaths, look if his crop is filled with water (is puffy). Most important: describe us the aspect of droppings or better, put a photo of them.

Beside microbian diseases, other posibilities is that he has some crop or gizzard blockage, or that is starving because you give him only bread or he didn't drink enough water etc.

You have to keep him in a warm place, like wrapped in an electric blanket or wrapped in a cloth and put near a heating device or in a cardboard box with a heatng device inside. Warmt, medicine and food/ water are all equalyy important for recovery.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Hi KHHK

Unfortunately I don't know anyone in Sydney.....members are right in regards to the bread ... I imagine the poor thing is just so clogged up .

If you have a fodder store nearby ....see if you can grab a pigeon mix ....they usually average around $1 per kilo and if they are making it up ask them to put extra "milo seed " in it .....milo is a smaller seed which will be easy for him to pick up . If you have an old bird cage , he'd be better off in something like that lined with a towel...try placing him in the warmest room .

Rather than just water ...try making up a hydration fluid wich can be a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon of sugar to 1 cup of tepid water .

It's hard to know whats going on and the age of the bird without seeing it ... can you upload a pic ?

Canker can often ground birds .....you can sometimes tell by opening the mouth and look for a cheesy yellowish nodule in the throat , there can also be an unpleasant odour emulating from the mouth . Having said this ...it is only 1 guess of what might be going on but it is a common ailment amongst pigeons. Try and keep him warm tho and see if you can get a small amount of pigeon mix so you can cease giving this poor bird bread .

regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.