Pigeon-Talk banner

Found pigeon in canal

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Tina_ 
#1 ·
Hello, I found a pigeon frantically flapping its wings in a canal. When I went to see it, it had become very still. A nice lady picked it up and placed it on the grass then I got a cardboard box and brought it home.

Shoe Photograph Black Road surface Shipping box

I think it was picked up very quickly after it started panicking in the water, so seems to be breathing normally but I am assuming it is tired or injured since it is not flying. I gave it some food and water and I can see a slight injury ( exposed pinkish flesh - very small area ). His mood seems to have improved after I put him in the box. He was standing up and pecking the sides etc while I was carrying him home. Now he is sleeping.

The area near the beak ( cere? ) is pinkish so I think he is a young one.

Should I do something to help him dry? Or will he get okay naturally? I brought him home because I was scared if left in the grass in injured state he would get eaten by something. He is outside my apartment and the box is facing a balcony but it is an indoor courtyard with extremely high walls. So I am hoping that it is safe enough while also allowing him to fly off if he wants to. Did I do the wrong thing? Should I just have left him? What are the next steps? Thank you so much!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank you for caring for the bird! Yes that is a young fledgling. The pink spot / wound may only be due to wet feathers exposing skin rather than injury. If he is eating and drinking on his own, then let him dry. If he doesn't fly away, then take another look for any wounds? The food looks good!