Pigeon-Talk banner

Found pigeon in Great Barrington Massachusetts

Tags
found bird
884 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Jay3 
#1 ·
Hi, A racing pigeon has decided to hang out with me since Thursday. We let him be for a while, and offered him birdseed, split peas and lentils and water. He is still here. He will fly up to the roof only when threatened. his numbers are
ARPU 2012 AU 99917.

I need help since I am leaving town on Thursday and have noone to watch out for him. I have him secured in a milk crate with a screen on top. Today is Sunday. My phone number is 413 528 8307.

#3 ·
found the owner...more questions

So I was able to find the owner, but he didn't seem too enthused. I spent the weekend learning about pigeons and trying to figure out how best to protect the bird and drove 45 minutes to get more appropriate food and to borrow a pet crate. So when I finally talk to the guy(I am so happy since I have "found" something special", he doesn't seem to give a "pigeon poop" about the bird. The bird has been here since Thursday and I only secured him yesterday. He says give him a few more days, then take him a few miles from your house and let him go, he should find his way home. I don't want to release him only to be stranded somewhere unsafe.

How do I know he can fly? I've only seen him go up to the roof a few times. Any suggestions?

There were others on this chat room who have reached out to me individually and other club secretaries who took the time and returned my call. Thank you so much for caring. I wish this bird was yours since you seemed to care.

Other questions, do they get cold? I have him in a dog crate and put him in the garage but it will go down to the forties tonight. I know this is probably a silly question but I have had no experience with birds. It sleeps with one leg up, is that normal? :confused:

#4 ·
You should keep him or adopt him out if his owner is not comming to get him. Pigeons do fine in cold temps if healthy. You could always get a larger cage for him if you keep him. And yes all pigeons are special even if some racing hobbiest don't act that way.

#5 ·
I agree with spiritwings. If the owner doesn't care enough about the bird to come and get him, and is willing to take the chance that he will get lost again, then I definitely wouldn't release him. He got lost once, and he probably will again. You are right in thinking that he could end up stranded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.